Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Toyota Sienna XLE The keyless entry on our van has stopped

The keyless entry on our van has stopped working. We have replaced the batteries in the remote device and it has not corrected the problem.

Is there something else we can do to fix the keyless?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 years ago.
It's not unusual for the remote itself to malfunction, I assume the battery was replaced to fix this but it didn't work, do you have another working remote, if this is the only one then it most likely needs to be replaced and the new one programmed to work with the existing system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have two remotes and have replaced the batteries in both. the vehicle does not respond to either.
You can try to reprogram the remotes, if you are sure it's the factory keyless entry system I can give you the instructions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is the factory system. We are the original owners.

I just have one more question and then I will post the reprogramming instructions, when sitting in the car with all doors closed does the red door ajar light or the dome light stay on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no to both.

Ok, here are the instructions to reprogram the remote:

NO KEY IS IN THE IGNITION

OPEN THE DRIVERS DOOR, ALL OTHER DOORS CLOSED

DRIVER DOOR IS UNLOCKED

PUT KEY IN AND THEN PULL OUT

PRESS DOR LOCK SWITCH 5 TIMES TO LOCK/UNLOCK ENDING WITH UNLOCK

CLOSE DRIVER DOOR AND REOPEN IT

REPEAT THE ABOVE LOCK/UNLOCK OPERATION

PUT KEY IN

TURN THE KEY ON AND BACK TO LOCK

REMOVE KEY

THE LOCKS SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY LOCK UNLOCK ONCE

ON THE REMOTE PUSH BOTH BUTTONS FOR ABOUT 1 SECOND

PUSH EITHER BUTTON FOR 1 SEC

LOCK/UNLOCK SHOULD OCCURE AGAIN

CLOSE DOOR, THIS COMPLETES THE REMOTE REGISTRATRION

FOR THE OTHER REMOTE PRESS BOTH BUTTONS AND THEN ONE TO REGISTER IT AS WELL.

Some of the steps are time sensitive, the lock/unlock operation should be cone within 40 seconds, try to do the other steps within ten secons apart, it may take several attempts until it recognizes the remotes, let me know if this works or if there are any questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll give it a try and get back to you.
Ok, good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried many times without getting any response from the auto lock / unlock. Tried it slow and fast. No response from the vehicle or the remotes.
Unfortunately this is the only information I have to reprogram the remotes, I'm going to opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas what may be causing this.
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified