Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1997 toyota camry died while driving now it wont stay running

Customer Question

1997 toyota camry died while driving now it won't stay running
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 years ago.
Are you getting spark to the spark plugs? If you are getting spark and fuel pressure there is a chance that the timing belt slipped on the pulleys, do you know if the timing belt was ever replaced and how many miles ago and what is the total mileage on the car now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the vehicle starts but stalls immediately
Check the large intake air hose that connects the air filter to the throttle body for cracks. Check the connector on the airflow meter make sure it's on tight.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1997 camry 3.0v-6 died while driving starts but wont remain running replaced fuel pump and filter i bought this car and later found out the engine was replaced with a used engine so i don't know the mileage
Thanks for the info, I would still recommend having the timing belt checked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i checked the intake hose it is cracked can this give me this particular problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

can i tape it up to find out if this will repair it too late to get parts tonight

Absolutely, that's why I asked you to check it. If the crack is not too bad use some black electrical tape and tape it up, give it a try and let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the crack is pretty big but i tried to tape it up as well as i can still does same thing as before
It's probably still leaking then, I think it's best to replace it, the part from the dealer is pretty expensive but you may be able to find it online a lot cheaper, check for toyota parts in your search box and you will have a few parts places you can check.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
waiting on parts but thanks for your help
you're welcome let me know if that solves the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey ted you helped me with the camry that died while driving back in dec. the hose didn't fix the problem but i found a cracked connector on the coils which did. just in case you run into this again just wanted to let you know.
Ok, thanks for the reply.