Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Toyota Tacoma how do I replace front hub and bearing assembly

Customer Question

how do I replace front hub and bearing assembly on 2006 toyota tacoma?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions for 4 and 2wd versions:

4WD:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the brake fluid.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the bolt and separate the speed sensor. Disengage the clamps. Remove the bolt and separate the speed sensor wire harness from the steering knuckle.
  5. Remove the front brake caliper. Remove the rotor.
  6. Remove the axle hub grease cap. Remove the cotter pin and lock cap. Remove the front axle hub nut.
  7. Remove the nut and separate the stabilizer link from the steering knuckle.
  8. Remove the cotter pin and nut. Using the proper tool separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
  9. Remove the two bolts and separate the front suspension lower arm from the front axle.
  10. Properly support the front suspension lower arm with a jack. Remove the clip and nut.
  11. Using the proper tool separate the steering knuckle from the front suspension upper control arm.
  12. On 4WD, use a plastic hammer and separate the front axle hub from the front driveshaft.
  13. Remove the front axle hub from the vehicle.
  14. graphic

To install:

1. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  2. Be sure to fill the master cylinder with the proper grade and type brake fluid.
  3. Bleed the brakes, as required.
  4. Be sure to check and adjust the alignment, as required.
2WD:

4. Remove the speed sensor connector. Remove the two bolts and separate the skid control sensor wire.
  5. Remove the bolt and separate the front flexible hose.
  6. Remove the front brake caliper. Remove the rotor.
  7. Remove the cotter pin and nut. Using the proper tool separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
  8. Remove the two bolts and separate the front lower ball joint attachment from the front axle.
  9. Remove the clip and nut. Using the proper tool, separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle.
  10. Remove the front axle hub from the vehicle.
graphic

To install:

3. Bleed the brakes, as required.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

4WD:

To install:

3. Bleed the brakes, as required.
2WD:

graphic
View Full Image

To install:

3. Bleed the brakes, as required.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's got to be a way to get the axel hub off with out taking the entire assmbly off the car.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

You can use a slide hammer and hub attachment to yank it off, but it can take awhile doing it this way. I have encountered some that had corrosion buildup between the hub and the spindle and took over 40 minutes of yanking on the slide hammer to free it.

The other option is to rent a 'hub shark' on the vehicle hub remover. This can usually be rented from Autozone or Advanced auto parts
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, or any factory directions or diagrams provide per your request until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button to pay expert, although you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a great day