ToyoPro
ToyoPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Master Technician, 17yrs Automotive Industry
48590959

Fuel pump shut-off inertia switch on a 2003 Toyota Corolla CE sedan?

Customer Question

Where is the fuel pump shut-off inertia switch on a 2003 Toyota Corolla CE sedan?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.

LexusPro :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will get back with you in just a second.

LexusPro :

That car does not have a fuel pump inertia switch.

Customer:

What else should I check as I don't hear the fuel pump coming on.

LexusPro :

Check fuel pressure first. Then you will know if you have pressure that it is working.

Customer:

Has it got a Schrader valve? If so, whee?

Customer:

I mean, where?

LexusPro :

I use an banjo fitting adapter at the fuel rail.

Customer:

Don't have one of those. Any fuses I should check? The car didn't break down, just hit hard in the front. Intake manifold has a hole busted in it. Throttle cable and throttle"wheel" near intake a little messed up but they should work good enough to limp the car in and out of the building. Not repairing the crash damage. Just need to move under its own power for now; even if I have to run a power feed to the fuel pump circuit.

Customer:

.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
The hole in the intake manifold is why it is not starting. Too much air not being seen by MAF sensor causing lean condition and no start. You will need to fix this before it will run at all.
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.
(Edited by Moderator) If you have a hole in the intake manifold that will need to be repaired to start with. You may be able to patch it for a temporary fix. If the throttle linkage is damaged keeping the throttle plate open you will need to address that as well. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I trick the MAP sensor, or whatever is impeding it, to at least get it to idle or run rough, just enough to move it a few times?
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.
I would try to patch the hole first, heavy tape or jb weld. something of that nature.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The holes were large. I used heavy, adhesive-backed aluminum tape to seal 90%. It runs a secont or two longer and sounds closer to staying running but not quite there yet. Is there a certain resistor value I can place across the MAF sensor, for instance, to simulate an acceptable value to the computer in order to create a run mode?
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.
Make sure the throttle plate is closed. You can try just unplugging the mafs and the computer should reconize that and operate in open loop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is ther more that one MAF? There is on plug on the top of the air box near the filter and one plug on the bottom of the throttle plate area. Should I unplug both? The throttle plate is closed.
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.
Only the one on air filter hoising.
Expert:  ToyoPro replied 3 years ago.
Reply to this link if you still have questions.
ToyoPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience: Master Technician, 17yrs Automotive Industry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That did the trick. I should be able to limp it around if I have to move it. It stats with quite a lopng idle but then smooths out after 30-45 seconds. Runs a bit rich to make your eyes water! Good job. Thanks for hanging in there. I'll send an accept over next. Thanks again.