Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Procedure For Camry Head Gasket Replacement.

I need to remove 4 cylinder head to replace head gasket on a 2002 Toyota Camry. Ex timing chain and marks.

What is the procedure to do so?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are the directions:

INTAKE MANIFOLD:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Relieve the fuel pressure from the fuel lines.
  3. Drain the engine oil and cooling system.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable. Strut tower brace Radiator hose outlet Union to connector tube hose Water inlet water hose Fuel tube assembly Water bypass hoses from the throttle body Intake manifold and gasket

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Intake manifold fastener location and loosening sequence-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Intake manifold fastener tightening sequence-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Intake manifold and gasket. Tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) Water bypass hoses from the throttle body Fuel tube assembly Union to connector tube hose Radiator hose outlet Strut tower brace. Tighten to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm) Negative battery cable

1. Refill the engine with oil to the correct level.
  2. Refill the cooling system to the correct level.
  3. Start the engine and check for leaks.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD:

2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery terminal Exhaust manifold heat insulator Oxygen sensor Exhaust manifold converter stays Exhaust pipe-to-manifold fasteners Manifold nuts, manifold and gasket

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exhaust manifold converter stays-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

To install:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exhaust manifold fastener tightening sequence-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

1. Place a new gasket and reinstall the exhaust manifold with the nuts. Tighten to 27 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
  2. Install or connect the following:

Exhaust manifold converter stays. Tighten to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm) Oxygen sensor Exhaust manifold heat insulator Negative battery cable

CYLINDER HEAD:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the engine oil.
  3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable.

NOTE
On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding after disconnecting the negative battery cable.

Radiator hose outlet Union to connector tube hose Heater inlet hose Fuel tube assembly Intake manifold Intake manifold runner valve assembly Engine harness Intake and exhaust manifold insulators Exhaust manifold assembly Timing chain Camshafts Camshaft bearing No. 2 Camshaft oil control valve assembly 10 cylinder head bolts uniformly in the sequence Cylinder head and gasket

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Cylinder head bolt removal sequence-2AZ-FE engine

WARNING
Head warpage or cracking could result from removing the bolts in an incorrect order.

1. Inspect the cylinder head set bolts. They should be 6.350-6.465 in. (161.3-164.2mm) in length. If length is greater than maximum, replace the bolts.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Measuring bolt length-2AZ-FE engine

To install:

1. Install new head gasket
  2. Install cylinder head assembly

Apply light oil to the cylinder head bolts Install plate washers on the cylinder head bolts

NOTE
Cylinder head bolts are tightened in two successive steps. Install and tighten 10 cylinder head bolts in required sequence.

1. Tighten to 58 ft. lbs. (79 Nm)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Cylinder head bolt installation sequence-2AZ-FE engine

1. Mark the front side of each head bolt with paint.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Head bolt marking procedure-2AZ-FE engine

1. Retighten cylinder head bolts 90 degrees in the same sequence
  2. Check that each painted mark is now at a 90 degree angle to the front
  1. Install or connect the following:

Camshaft oil control valve assembly Camshaft bearing No. 2 Camshafts Timing chain Exhaust manifold assembly Intake and exhaust manifold insulators Engine harness Intake manifold runner valve assembly Intake manifold Fuel tube assembly Heater inlet hose Union to connector tube hose Radiator hose outlet Fill engine oil Fill engine coolant
  2. Inspect for fuel leaks
  3. Inspect for oil leaks
  4. Inspect for exhaust leaks

TIMING CHAIN:

2az-FE Engine

2. Drain the engine oil.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Hood Right-side front wheel Engine under covers Right-side fender apron seal Front exhaust pipe Engine moving control rod and bracket Right-side engine mounting stay and bracket Accessory drive belt Engine appearance cover Engine wire Alternator Power steering pump, leave the hoses connected Ignition coils Ventilation hoses Cylinder head cover
  4. Turn the crankshaft pulley to set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC compression. Align the groove on the pulley with the timing mark -0- on the front cover.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley as follows:
    1. TMC made: Use Special Tool 09213-54015 to hold the pulley to loosen the bolt. Use Special Tool 09950-50013 to remove the bolt and pulley.
    2. TMMK made: Use Special Tool 09960-10010 to hold the pulley to remove the bolt. Use Special Tool 09950-40011 to remove the crankshaft pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the crankshaft pulley-TMC-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the crankshaft pulley-TMMK-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

6. Remove or disconnect the following:

Crankshaft position sensor Lower oil pan No. 1 chain tensioner Accessory drive belt tensioner
  7. Support the engine with a suitable engine lifting device.
  8. Remove or disconnect the following:

Engine mounting insulators Right-side engine mounting bracket Stud bolt for the accessory drive belt tensioner from the block Front cover mounting bolts and nuts Front cover Crankshaft position sensor plate Timing chain tensioner slipper Timing chain vibration damper Timing chain Crankshaft timing sprocket
  9. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by 90°, and align an adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket with the groove of the oil pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the adjusting hole of the oil pump drive sprocket with the oil pump groove-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Insert a bar to lock the sprocket in position-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

10. Put a bar in the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket to temporarily lock the sprocket in position. Remove the nut.
  11. Remove the bolt, chain tensioner and spring.
  12. Remove the chain tensioner, oil pump sprocket and No. 2 timing chain.

To install:

1. Set the crankshaft key into the left horizontal position. Turn the cutout of the drive shaft to the top.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the crankshaft key and drive shaft cutout as shown for installation-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

2. Align the yellow colored links with the timing marks of the sprocket as shown in the illustration.
  3. Insert the sprockets with chain to the crankshaft and oil pump shaft.
  4. Temporarily tighten the oil pump driven sprocket with the nut.
  5. Insert the damper spring into the adjusting hole, and install the chain tensioner plate with the nut. Tighten to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  6. Align the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket with the groove of the oil pump.
  7. Put a bar in the adjusting hole of the oil pump driven sprocket to temporarily lock the sprocket in position. Tighten the nut to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
  8. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise by 90°, and align the crankshaft key to the top.
  9. Install the timing chain vibration damper. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
  10. Align the timing marks of the camshaft timing sprockets and bearing caps.
  11. Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and set the set key on the crankshaft upward.
  12. Align the gold or orange colored link with the timing mark of the crankshaft timing sprocket.
  13. Using Special Tool 09309-37010, tap in the sprocket.
  14. Align the gold or yellow colored links with the timing marks of the camshaft timing gear and camshaft timing sprocket. Install the chain.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marks of the sprockets and bearing caps to set the No. 1 cylinder at TDC-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Set the crankshaft set key facing upward-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marked link of the timing chain with crankshaft sprocket timing mark-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Tap the crankshaft sprocket in with Special Tool 09309-37010-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the marked links of the timing chain with the camshaft sprockets during installation-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

15. Install the timing chain tensioner slipper. Tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
  16. Install the crankshaft position sensor plate. The -F- mark faces forward.
  17. Clean any old gasket material from the mating surfaces of the front cover, cylinder head and block.
  18. Apply a continuous bead of sealant to the front cover mating surface either 0.10 in. (2.5 mm) or 0.12-0.16 (3-4 mm) in diameter as indicated in the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Apply sealant to the front cover mating surface as shown-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

19. Install the front cover and tighten as follows:
    1. Bolt A and nuts: 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
    2. Bolts B: 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).
    3. Bolts C: 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Bolt and nut identification for the front cover-2.4L (2AZ-FE) engine

20. Install or connect the following:

Stud bolt for the accessory drive belt. Tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). Accessory drive belt tensioner. Tighten to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm). Right-hand engine mounting bracket. Tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Engine mounting insulator. Tighten top bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) and bottom bolts to 64 ft. lbs. (87 Nm). Lower oil pan. Tighten bolts to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm). Timing chain tensioner Crankshaft position sensor. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
  21. Align the crankshaft pulley key set with the key groove of the pulley, and side on the pulley. Using the Special Tool previous used to remove, tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm).
  22. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise and disconnect the plunger knock pin from the hook.
  23. Turn the crankshaft clockwise and check that the slipper is pushed by the plunger.
  24. The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of removal.
  25. Refill the engine with oil to the correct level.
  26. Start the engine and check for leaks.