Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

Toyota Prius Where is the OBD connection on a 2005 prius

Where is the OBD connection on a 2005 prius? I have an obd2 reader, will it work and reset the warning light?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

The ODBII diagnostic port is located under the driver's side dash, center. If you have a "personal" code reader, it may not clear the codes (depending on brand. Can't hurt to try!). If your reader does not clear codes, you can remove the "NEG" cable from the battery for 15min. Be aware- this method (and code reader) will only reset the "Check Enigne Light" and the light will only remain off if the proper repair was made correctly. If the repair was not made correctly or there is a different problem- the light WILL return within 50-75 miles of normal driving.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I look for the RED item you highlighted and plug it in to that, correct. I do not have to remove part of the dash, correct? I can pull it down from where it is tucked in?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Right, the red item "DLC3" - it stands for "Diagnostic Connection Link (ver.3)" - your OBDII reader will plug right into this. You cannot "pull it down from where it is tucked in" - it will be sticking out enough for you to plug right into where it sits. It's frimly mounted to the lower dash. When you stick your head under there, you'll see it. Can't miss it.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

My mistake - type-o "DLC" is Diagnostic Link Connector. Sorry about that... Wow, major brain-slip!

Edited by DriveFast1971 on 11/29/2010 at 10:32 PM EST