Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070
Toyota

Toyota How do I remove the stuck cv axle shaft from the transfer

How do I remove the... Show More
How do I remove the stuck cv axle shaft from the transfer case front passenger side of 03 toyota matrix awd? I've got the hub side removed along with the snap ring and the retaining bolt.I've tried large prybars and my large slide hammer and can't move it even one milimeter. Am I missing anything? Is there some kind of trick or tool? Please help if you can.
Category: Toyota
replied 6 years ago.

Are you doing this on the ground or on a lift?

Genchi

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
on the ground
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician replied 6 years ago.

The best thing may be to soak it down with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight as you already know, these things can be a real pain. What we do in the shop is have 2 people, one with an Air hammer and a flat tip or pickle fork(to act as a wedge)...

If you use the flat ended type, just use it to rattle/shake the mount the bearing is in while the other person uses a BFH (Big Hammer) and whacks it out.

Genchi

Please ask more of me is needed.

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks.

You are not the only one to have this problem. Here is a post by other owners who have suggested removing the entire axle mount and that will make it easier on a bench. Here..

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105781

Please do let me know, Genchi

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
I've trid what you said still with no luck. Ther is no mount it goes into the transfer case how difficult is it to remove that?it doesn't look easy. Any other sugestions?or maybe somebody else has a better idea.
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.