Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Camry Why is my car is making a knocking noise when

Why is my car is making a knocking noise when I take my foot of off the gas pedal?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 3 years ago.

ted ritter :

Is this noise there when the engine is running in neutral or only when driving or both/all the time.

Customer:

no it isnt. just after i let up on the gas pedal. i thought it was only happening at around 65 mile per hour. but I noticed at around 40 mph too

Customer:

i have problems with exhaustoo.ot the car fixed with an oil pump leak and new timing belt

Customer:

I have problems with the exhaust too.

Customer:

I let up on the gas pedal and i hear...duh duh duh duh duh ..gotta listen kind of closely though

Customer:

??

Customer:

Hello>

ted ritter :

What is the problem with the exhaust?

Customer:

They said the exhasut will have to replaced. not sure on the details. but they said it would be a big job because of the rivets they used..apparently..they dont use bolts to hold it together.

Customer:

it seems the low thudding noise i hear aligns with the gas pedal though. when i decelerate you can hear it thudding in there. it's weird

ted ritter :

Toyota doesn't use any rivets on the exhaust, only bolts and nuts. Do you hear this noise under the hood and can you tell where it's coming form? I don't think it's a mechanical problem because the noise would be louder on acceleration.

Customer:

yeah it definitely feels like its in the engine.

Customer:

could it be the transmission..due to the deceleration?

ted ritter :

Ok so you can hear it under the hood without driving the car, is this so?

Customer:

i do notice that the sound gets louder at higher speeds though

Customer:

no..its only when i drive the car.

Customer:

i dont hear the noise when i accelerate. when i let up on the pedal...i hear the noise.

ted ritter :

Do you mean higher road speed? At what mph is it the loudest?

Customer:

yes higher road speed. i hear it the most like excatly between 60-65 mile per hour

Customer:

it fades a bit after 65. i mean i can really hear it knocking when I decelerate at this speed

ted ritter :

It's starting sound like there is a wheel bearing problem in the front, it could also be a differential noise, it's hard for me to say without actually hearing the noise.

Customer:

i have a slight bit of movement in my front roight wheel..the mechanics said this. its needs a new boot joint? not sure what that is.but they told me that and that it shouldnt be a big problem.

Customer:

that is really strange you brought that up. i was just going to right you this before you asked that last question

Customer:

it sounds a bit like a knuckle knocking on wood. like a dull thud...i can feel it a bit in the steering wheel too at times

Customer:

they said i needed a new boot joint in the front right wheel. sorry about communication...not good at describing these thigns

ted ritter :

What he's talking about sounds like one of the CV joints is bad, usually one of the inner joints can cause this type of noise, since the wheel feels loose it may need to have that axle bearing replaced as well.

Customer:

sorry front left wheel

Customer:

really? so maybe i cant hear the noise while im accelrating and when i let my fott off the pedal i will be able to hear the wheel stressing?

Customer:

my foot*

ted ritter :

Does the sound change when either turning left or right?

Customer:

So from what ive described does this sound like a "must fix"?

Customer:

no...i just notice it when im driving

Customer:

no just straight aways

Customer:

basically. if im not hearing the noise consistently..then it is most likely not an engine problem?

ted ritter :

In that case you should have the CV drive axles checked especially the one on the left, the inner CV joint may be worn and the axle may have to be replaced. If it was an engine noise you would hear the same noise without driving the car.

Customer:

is this a costly repair?

ted ritter :

Do you feel any vibration when this noise happens?

Customer:

i feel a little vibration. yes. ive just been worried about negine trouble because the the oil pump just had a gasket blow out and i was leaking oil all ovre the timing belt. it was a lot of dough to get its fixed. now i hear this noise.

Customer:

engine trouble*

ted ritter :

A CV axle can be bought aftermarket from most autoparts stores, they are around $250 you can also find them online.

ted ritter :

Ok so just to be clear, you CAN hear the noise with the engine running and not driving the car, is this so? This is important.

Customer:

no i cannot hear the noise when the car is in park.

Customer:

it is only when im driving that i hear it.

Customer:

so when the car is in idle. i do not hear it

Customer:

juts one question. why would the knocking sound only be audible when i let up on the gas pedal???

ted ritter :

The the noise is in the drivetrain as I already mentioned not the engine. I would recommend that you have the axles and bearing checked. By the way, what condition are the tires in? Just checking because this could be a tire noise. When decelerating the load is reduced from rotating parts and any excessive clearance can cause noise, the only other thing I can think of is that this is a differential problem, so you should have it checked by a mechanic that is experienced in these areas.

Customer:

Ok thanks so much. you have definitely clarified the issue. the tires are ok (the mechanic said)...but they have about 6-8 months left in them

Customer:

but that Cv joint is definitely loose. not a lot.but that may be the problem.it isnt a huge noise..but i can hear it a little

ted ritter :

Thanks for the reply, this will end our chat session but the question will stay open so you can either post more replies even after you decide to 'ACCEPT'

Customer:

ok so the $15 will be paid to you then?

Customer:

after i accept, right?

ted ritter :

No, only 50% the site will get the other half, thank you. You can still post after accepting.

Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified