Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

1992 Toyota Camry LE: cylinder..speedometer reads 10..speed sensor

1992 Toyota Camry LE Auto 2.2L 4 cylinder. The speedometer reads 10 - 15 mph too slow. I tested the speed sensor, and it gave 4 pulses in one revolution. I tested the input voltage to the sensor - 11.42V. What is the problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. How are you testing the speedometer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, before I realized that it was off, I got a ticket for going 57 mph - my speedometer read 45. Then I went by one of the radar machines that sit beside the road. I was doing 35, the radar read 47. Then I followed a friend in a new truck with a 2-way radio. When he was doing 40, my speedometer read 25. On cold mornings, the needle won't move off 0 until I'm going a pretty good speed. I do not have a CEL nor any codes.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Do you have access to a freeway that has mile markers on it that you can drive on and have someone ride with you using a stopwatch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I haven't done that yet. I will say that the automatic transmission shifts well. I believe it shifts at the correct points. If the odometer is also off, what's the problem? Or, if the odometer is correct, what could it be? I've pulled the speedometer out of the cluster and blew compressed air in it to clean out particles. It made no difference.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Here's what you need to do. Drive on the freeway at a steady speed and record the speed and have someone record how long it takes to go from one mile marker to the next. You need to do this multiple times and get a good average. With that we will know where we stand to begin with. From what you have told me, however about the needle not moving at low speeds, it is most likely the speedometer head will need replacement. Generally, a speed sensor is working or non working. I have never seen one cause the speed reading be incorrect. I have, however, seen the speedometer head malfunction and be incorrect. In almost all cases, it is not as far off as you think, which is why we measure the time it takes to go a known distance at a known speed to determine a baseline to start with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you think a speedometer/instrument cluster from a re-cycling yard would be OK to try? I don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford a new one. I've seen one on ebay with 87,000 miles on it. Mine has 153,000. I would think/hope the lower mileage of the ebay one would give me a good chance of getting an accurate speedometer.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
I wouldn't have any reservations about using a used cluster for this as they don't give too many problems. The only thing you need to be aware of is, if you ever sell your car, you legally have to note it as unknown mileage since you will have changed the odometer.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician