Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Remove the stock automatic shift knob from a 1995 Toyota Camry LE?

How do I remove the stock automatic shift knob from a 1995 Toyota Camry LE?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

What exactly are you trying to remove on the shift lever and why? Do you have over drive?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to replace the stock shift knob with an aftermarket one. And yes the car does have over drive. Is there gonna be a problem installing an aftermarket shift knob while the car has over drive?

I should have probably qualified this by asking is this a manual shift transmission or an automatic transmission? I've never heard of anybody removing and installing an aftermarket automatic shift control assembly. I thought you were trying to remove the automatic shift lever/knob in order to replace the park indicator slide. If this is a manual transmission and you're putting an aftermarket shift knob on the manual shift lever that is easy, remove the knob turning counterclockwise. It may be a little snug but will come off. It Is simply screwed onto the top of the shift lever. If this is an automatic there are two screws that go in from the front that need to be removed. Then the shift handle assembly will pop up only as far as the wires will allow it for the overdrive switch. In order to remove it completely you have to disassemble the entire shift mechanism to gain access to the wires that go to the overdrive switch so that they can be released.