Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Toyota Tundra SR5 P2714 trouble code, Pressure control solenoid

Customer Question

P2714 trouble code," Pressure control solenoid "D" performance or stuck off". Is this refering to overdrive on the transmission not working?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 years ago.

ted ritter :

Toyota has a service bulletin for this trouble code TC017-07, it may be necessary to replace the transmission and to reprogram the control module but first you should have the fluid level checked as this could also cause this code. The transmission is sealed and requires a special procedure to verify fluid level, in case the transmission is the problem the warranty coverage is 5yrs/60,000 miles so I would recommend that you contact the Toyota dealer for assistance on this. Here is an excerpt from the bulletin.....

Some customers may complain about a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P2714

(Pressure Control Solenoid “D” Performance – Shift Solenoid SLT) combined with other

transmission performance DTCs such as P0751, P0756, P0761, P0766, P0729, P0781,

P0894, P2757, or P0776 with abnormal transmission shifting. Replacement of the

transmission and installation of revised Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term:

Powertrain Control Module/PCM) software logic may be required to repair the vehicle.

Customer :

That is just a service bulletin not a silent recall right? So that means because my truck has 71000 miles on it, it is my cost to replace all of that.

ted ritter :

It's up to the dealer or the regional office if they can offer assistance since this is a known issue, there is a good chance that they will if the transmission is indeed the problem, the first thing they are going to do is check the fluid level and condition, this would be at your expense. No this is not a recall. Have the dealer look at it and if the fluid is low for some reason, maybe there's a leak, and it can be fixed without major repairs.