ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

tundra: my power steering rack..my 06..my local dealer

I just had my power steering rack for my 06 tundra replaced at my local dealer. The new rack has failed me within the week and I now have heavy emmissions of bluish exaust comeing out of the exaust system. They will replace the rack . The question is have they crossed lines and could there be power steering fluid that is giong fast in my engine?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 3 years ago.

ToyotaTom :

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions!

ToyotaTom :

It is highly unlikely that anyone could botch up a steering rack job that badly.

ToyotaTom :

There are literally 2 lines that need to be disconnected at the rack itself, unbolt the tie rod ends, and then the couple main bolts that hold the rack itself in

ToyotaTom :

was there any other work performed at the same time?

Customer :

No

Customer :

I had an oil change done at the same time

Customer :

As soon as I got it back the engine hiisses and whines when accellerated. Is that normal?

ToyotaTom :

You've most likely got a vacuum line disconnected

ToyotaTom :

But no, this is not normal

ToyotaTom :

Many times they'll check the air filter and other stuff at the same time, and sometimes knock a vacuum line loose

Customer :

Where is all of the power steering fluid going if there is no leakage.

ToyotaTom :

Is the reservoir empty?

Customer :

Yes refilled it twice

ToyotaTom :

But no drips anywhere?

Customer :

none

ToyotaTom :

There should be a couple vacuum lines at the power steering pump itself. They must be hooked up wrong, and sucking the power steering fluid into the intake, and then burning it off which is where your smoke is coming from. I was thinking this at first, however didn't want to say that because there should be absolutely no need to touch the PS pump when replacing the rack, other than to remove the cap and add fluid to bleed it out.

ToyotaTom :

They must have for whatever reason reversed the return hose and one of the vacuum hoses

ToyotaTom :

I personally can't see any reason to touch anything at the pump, unless they replaced the lines and hoses at the same time

ToyotaTom :

Which is not usually necessary

Customer :

What action do I take with these guys and what all needs to be replaced.Can this cause damage in the engine long term?

ToyotaTom :

Unless they're rusted/corroded on and can not be unbolted at the rack

ToyotaTom :

I don't see any kind of long term damage happening. They should be able to do some sort of induction service, which is usually clean out the throttle body real well, and then run a cleansing chemical in through the intake system that will clean up a lot of the carbon buildup that naturally accumulates. I'd push to have this done.

ToyotaTom :

Just to make sure there is no residue left over

ToyotaTom :

The lines need to be corrected,

ToyotaTom :

The only possible damage that I am completely unsure of may be catalytic converter, however this is very doubtful. However the power steering fluid is filled with detergants and stuff, and if anything may have cleaned that all out.

ToyotaTom :

I've heard of people hooking one of the vacuum lines into a bottle of ATF (which is basically the same as power steering fluid) and having it clean everything out real well due to the detergants

ToyotaTom :

But I'd have them look over everything real well and I'd bet you those 2 lines are switched

ToyotaTom :

And you absolutely shouldn't be charged for any of it

Customer :

would all of this cause the power steering to fail and should they replace the new rack?

ToyotaTom :

If there is no fluid, there will be no pressure, and yes it will cause the power steering to fail

ToyotaTom :

However if you fill it back up with fluid, get all of the air bled out of it, it should be perfectly fine and normal again once it has fluid

Customer :

Thanks for your help

ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience: Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified