BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

How do I replace the front wheel bearings on a 03 Toyota matrix

How do I replace the front wheel bearings on a 03 Toyota matrix awd and what tools do I need?

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Do you have access to a large shop press and a knowledge of its operation?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Other than having basic tools and a press, the only other thing you will need is a pair of very large snap ring pliers to get the snap ring out to press out the bearing. You will probably also need a cut-off wheel attached to a die grinder to cut a groove in the bearing race that will stick to the hub when you press it off. You will need to cut a groove almost through it, then use a chisel to split it and get it off. When re-assembling this, you will need to use a LOT of anti-sieze to put it back together. Once the bearing is installed in the hub, you will need to be VERY careful when pressing in the hub as you can easily destroy the bearing in the process.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What I really need is a step by step description of the job from start to finish in full detail, Pictures or diagrams would be helpful. What fasteners need to be removed and what sizes are they? Try to describe it like you are explaining it to someone who has never done this before. If you can't do it let someone else try. Thanks for your effort.
I don't have any pictures readily available. I will opt out in case another expert does.
Besides everything that Boxer54 has told you, click here and here for the pictures and procedures.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Let me know if I can help further,
Bob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience