Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

How can I tell if my cars air conditioner relay in bad

How can I tell if my car's air conditioner relay in bad? My a/c worked fine this morning but, when I got in my car this afternoon it wouldn't turn on. It hasn't given any signs before this. The air just isn't blowing. I can hear the a/c trying to turn on (strain on engine and the clutch and pulley to the condenser seem to be working). No air is blowing out of the vents but, when it's on setting 1 and I am driving I can feel ice cold air escaping from the vents in very small amounts. 2006 Toyota Corolla with 51,000 miles.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

What year is your Corolla? how many miles do you have on the Corolla? When the blower motor switch is turned on and you press the AC switch does a little light in the AC switch illuminate or does it flash once you turn it on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2006 Toyota Corolla with 51,000 miles on it. When I turn on the a/c the light is glowing on the a/c button.
Does the A/C button stay lit up or does it start to flash? When you turn the A/C switch on with the blower switch on also can you have someone check to see if the compressor clutch is engaging on the A/C compressor this will be noticed by a click and a slight drain on the engine and the end of the compressor will start spin not just the pulley.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The A/C button stays lit (no flash). Also, when I turn the A/C knob I do hear a click and feel a drain on the engine.
Is possible that the refrigerant in the air-conditioning system is just low. It would seem strange that this would happen in a matter of one day. The first thing you're going to need to do is have someone check the refrigerant level and inspect for leaks. If there is no refrigerant in the system it had to go somewhere. This particular car is notorious for the A/C condenser, which is like a little radiator out front of the car, to leak. There also have been some issues with the magnetic clutch relay. This usually is indicated by the light flashing in the A/C switch.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The A/C is not blowing at all. It's not a matter of the air that is coming out is not cool. It's that there is no air coming out at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Thanks for clarifying that I misread the info above and it was very late. Do you have anything else that is not working in the car? Any recent work done? Do you have any test equipment like a volt meter or test light?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's okay, it was late. Thank you fo ryour patience. Everything else in the car seems to be working fine and I have not had any work done on the car. I do not have a volt meter or test light.

With out any test lights or volt meter it is difficult to say for certain or to tell you what to check. Start with the fuses under the hood and in the fuse box inside the car. You can remove the glove box like you are going to change the in cabin air filter then pull the in cabin air filter out and reach in and see if the blower motor cage will spin by hand. then turn the switch on and see if it will start if you assist it. Do you hear the relay click when the fan switch is turned on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not hear the relay click when I turn it on but, I do feel the surge on the engine when it's turned on. I will check the fuses and then if that's not the issue I will change the relay and hope that it solves the problem. If not, then I guess I will have to take it to the dealer :-( Thanks so much for your help. I understand it's hard to diagnose problems without the right tools and knowledge.

Relays rarely go bad on this for the blower fan. there is more likely a power supply problem. I would not throw a relay at it just yet. The surge in the engine is the compressor engaging this is normal. If you can even get a simple 12 volt test light that can help to do some checks. Let me know and try the in cabin filter/ blower inspection.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I did the cabin filter/blower inspection and my air started blowing great when I manually started the blower. It runs great except each time I shut off the the car it stops blowing again. I'm guessing this means I need a new blower?
I'm afraid that sounds like the case the blower motor is starting to go bad. They're actually not that difficult to change. Three screws go in from the bottom and one electrical connector and you're good to go. Glad you found the problem with a little assistance and save some cash.