Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2006 Toyota: scion..pulls..alignment..it was not the tires

Our 2006 Toyota scion XB pulls to the right. We had the alignment checked twice and itthey said it was OK, and the tire people said it was not the tires.

Well its not the tires and not the alignment. Then it doesn't pull! Wink

Ok, first off we have to verify. Is the vehicle pulling or is it just drifting?

In other words, when you take your hands off the wheel at 30 mph, how far do you travel before it starts to go right?

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It starts to drift (we think) in about 3 to 5 seconds.

Is this on a two lane

or four lane road?

If 4 lane, what lane are you in when it goes right?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It happens in any lane two or four lane. If we are in the far left lane it takes it longer than if we are in the right lane or middle lane.

Have you tried just taking the 2 front tires and swapping them side to side?

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes

What happened when you swapped them?

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We were told that the tires are made to go front to back for traction and bad weather. We didn't drive it, and they put the tires back because everything checked out. The tires are made to be criss crossed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know anything to edit on my previous mail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure what other information do you want.

We were told that the tires are made to go front to back

That is only if they are 'Directional' tires. Here is some reading on what Directional tires are...

http://www.bargaincarrims.com/directional-tires.php

Thats fine if they are directional but if they are the cause of the pull, then they need to install a tire that doesn't cause it to pull.

Here is some reading from Tire Rack and please note step #1...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=12

Basically there are 2 items that will cause a pull--

1) Alignment--This is easy to see because they should print out the alignment sheet and let you see the measurements are in specifications.

2) Tires-- Either they are "coned" (like putting a cup on its side and rolling it. It will curve left/right because it is 'coned' shaped)

Low tire pressure in one tire. Or they have tire/radial pull and need to be replaced.

That really is as easy as it gets. Many times shops just blame the other and say what they did isn't the cause. My guess is that the problem is indeed the tire--at least 1 can cause a pull.

Genchi

Do you still need help? Was my explanation clear?

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is late here and we accept what information you have provided and will check with the tire people again. They are directional tires. Can you please tell me how to make sure that I am only charged for one month's fee. This is not a service that I want to continue every month.

I will forward your request to Admin and let them handle your request. It has been my pleasure to help.

Genchi

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your information, and help for my request not to continue with your service.

Barbara

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, we are satisfied. My husband took it to another alignment and frame place and they agreed with you. We took it back to the tire place and said that we need better tires and we got a different set and the car is no longer pulling/drifting to the right.

Thank you again.

Yay!!! Cool