Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2000 camry: v6..replaced spark plug and plug wires..oem

Customer Question

I have a 2000 camry v6. getting misfires, so i replaced spark plug and plug wires, got worse backfires now, Checked mass air flow running way too rich. Replaced with a oem sensor duing same thing, no difference. Help
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ted ritter :

Hello, do you have any of the diagnostic trouble code numbers from before the parts were replaced? If not I can still help, I will look something up and be right back.

Customer :

It does have miss fire codes, and my rear 02 sensor is dead. but I dont think the o2 would make it run bad?

ted ritter :

Your'e right the O2 sensor wouldn't make it run bad. Recheck the spark plug wires to the rear cylinders, I think you may have some wires mixed up. the cylinders 1,2,3 are on the firewall side and cylinders 2,4,6 are on the radiator side counting from the front. The three coils on the bank near the radiator each fire two spark plugs, the spark plug wires are numbered 1,3,5 so they can be located on the bank near the firewall, please recheck this, it would also help if I could have the original trouble codes for the misfire. There is no hurry on my part so take your time.

Customer :

p0308 random 1,2,3,5,6. fuel pressure volume good and comp fron around 180.

Customer :

ted I did forget to tell you it does it when acc (bad) when I seem to level off it kinda goes away.

ted ritter :

Have you checked the wire routing? The cylinders are paired 1and 4, 3 and 5 and 2 and 6. You may also have a bad coil pack, this is common, if you have a voltmeter measure and compare the resistance readings on the terminals on each coil pack, if one is way off then it's the coil.

ted ritter :

I may have to be offline for a bit, will check back later.

Customer :

Still waiting on a reply can anyone help?

ted ritter :

Hello, sorry, got back too late last night. First I have to make a correction the cylinders are paired 1 and 4, 2 and 5 and 3 and 6. The coil resistance readings between the two terminals on the coil should be between 0.7 and 1.1 ohm.

ted ritter :

Please recheck the plug wire routing again, if that's not the problem check the coil resistances, make sure the airflow meter connection is on. When the plug wires were replaced were thet from toyota or aftermarket wires?