Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1997 Toyota Camry: I disconnect a theft deterrent system (TDS)..horn

Customer Question

How to I disconnect a theft deterrent system (TDS) from a 1997 Toyota Camry? My car's horn was beeping yesterday (twice) while the TDS wasn't even activated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Which TDS system do you have? Is the remote kinda banana shaped or square?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has a toyota label on the remote. Remote is rectangular and black. Three buttons:

2 on top from left to right: "Lock" and "Unlock"

1 on bottom: "Panic"

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Are the buttons all black or are they colored?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lock and unlock buttons are black, the panic button is red.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
The controller for this year model is mounted to the floor below the driver seat, you would need to disconnect at that location. Its a Rs3000 toyota system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Need more detail. Exactly where is it's location, what does it look like, how do I disconnect, etc. Is there a controller that has "Rs3000" marked on it?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

graphic

The ECU looks just like the one I pictured above.

If the dealer put it on then it is probably above the carpet, if this was port installed it is likely UNDER the carpet there. This will be the only component under the driver seat on the floor, the old camrys are very basic and simple so there is nothing else down there.

You would need to unplug the controller and then follow the wiring up under the driver dash, some of these have a starter disable so the wiring for this controller would need to be disconnected from the ignition switch under the dash in that case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is nothing that looks anything like the controller that you described under the driver seat.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

graphic

Your remote should look like this correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It looks nothing like this. It's rectangular, approx 1 3/8 in wide x 2 in high. it has a Toyota emblem on the bottom, a red panic button above that and then a black lock and black unlock button above that.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
You are sure that this is a 1997 model????
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
positive. And i have the title of the car that says the same.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

ok.....did some deeper digging here....there was one other rare remote on this year, is this the one:

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't heard back from you in 20 minutes. Have you given up?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

No I have not given up. The system you have here is somewhat integrated to the car then, if the alarm is going off for no reason then one of the 4 door position switches is detecting that one of the car doors is being opened.

The system layout is like this:

graphic

So in this case the wireless door lock ECU that controls the system is under the dash between the driver side and the center console.