Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2009 venza: wont start due to some problem

Customer Question

we have a 2009 venza that wont start due to some problem with the engine immobilization system
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ted ritter :

Hello:

ted ritter :

Can you elaborate a little as to what the problem is? Does the engine turn over and not start? Do you have more than one key and are you using the same key that usually worked?

Customer:

engine does not turn over. both sets of keys do not work. engine start button remains red.

Customer:

is there a way to reset the car to recognize the Key ( It is a keyless system)

ted ritter :

That's not an immobilizer issue, immobilizer malfunction will still allow the engine to turn over but not start. Hold the smart key with the logo facing the start button closely then push the button, does it go to green then? Another problem may be that the car battery is discharged, do you have a voltmeter to measure battery voltage?

Customer:

push button does not go to green when fob is held to start/stop button. all other electrical systems appear to be functioning.

Customer:

the manual say's that the car should beep when fob is held to start/stop, this does not happen there is no beep.

ted ritter :

Does the radio work, do the headlights turn on?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

car is less than a year old and this has happened once before

ted ritter :

There is a small red LED on the smart key, does it light up when any of the buttons are pushed?

Customer:

no leds on smart key

Customer:

correction both leds are working on both key fobs

Customer:

it seems car is not recognizing either key fob

Customer:

Key fobs will open and lock doors however

ted ritter :

Yes that's my conclusion as well, how many miles are on it?

Customer:

16K

Customer:

are there some tricks that we can try to get the start/stop button and the fob to talk to eachother again?

Customer:

The car seems to be the culprit because it does not beep when the key fob is held to start/stop button

Customer:

the security indicator light on the dash is flashing continuously.

ted ritter :

I'm going to check a couple of things and be right back.

Customer:

ok

ted ritter :

Try doing this:

Without depressing the brake pedal, push the engine switch repeatedly. The power source mode should change from off to on (ACC), to on (IG) and back to off.

With the brake pedal depressed, push the engine switch. The engine should start regardless of the original power source mode

Customer:

the car is stuck at a parking lot we will go there now can you text or call on a cell phone or should I bring a wireless card for my laptop?

ted ritter :

If my last suggestion doesn't work then my advise is to get a toyota dealer involved, it's still under warranty for this kind of problem, to diagnose further would require connecting the diagnostic scantool to retrieve diagnostic trouble codes that are stored in the smart key system to give a technician some idea of where to start, there are about 3 to 4 seperate computers involved with LAN communication systems that have to be checked, this goes beyond what I can do here.

Customer:

ok we will try it thanks for your help

ted ritter :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know what happened.