Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1995 toyota camry: leak..s power steering somewhere

Customer Question

i have a leak in my 1995 toyota camry's power steering somewhere. it has been unstarted for 3 years. there was no maunual with it so where should i look for the leak? thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.

Have you inspected the power steering lines and under the car for leaking fluid?

How much fluid have you added?

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i fill the resovoir and drive it about 40 miles and it goes empty. the fluid is leaking under the car but i cannot find the origin

Where under the car is the fluid found on the ground......drivers side? passanger side? Front of car near the bumper?

Genchi

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ted ritter :

There are three common areas for power steering fluid leaks, the most common is the power steering pump,then the high pressure hose going to the pump and finally the power steering rack seals. You cna ispect the power steering pump for a leak with a flashlight, if the pump is not leaking and the hose looks dry then inspect the rubber boots on the ends of the power steering rack for signs of internal leakage. If the pump is leaking it can be replaced using a remanufactured or new pump, the same goes for the steering rack, most autoparts stores can supply either one at resonable cost.

ted ritter :

The power steering pump is located at the front of the engine under the cylinder head nearest the firewall.

Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the leak is on the ground just inside the drivers side wheel

Thanks for accepting, that sounds like it may be the power steering rack seal on the left, check the rubber boot on that end of the rack where the tie rod comes out, that's about the only power stering leak it could be on that side unless it's another leak so please double check using a light because it could also be a transmission oil pan leak.