Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2007 Toyota Camry XLE: vsc system warning..3rd..Toyota dealer

I bought a 2007 Toyota Camry XLE about 3 months ago. During the time since then the "Check vsc system" warning has come on twice previously and now for the 3rd time. The first 2 times the Toyota dealer fixed the problem (obviously temporarily). The check engine light also comes on when this happens. I would like to get this problem fixed for good. I'm guessing maybe I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem. Can you help me?
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. The VSC light comes on in conjunction with the check engine light. To best help you, I will need to know the 4 digit code currently stored in the computer memory. In most states, you can go to your local chain auto parts store such as Autozone and have the code read for free. Also, it would be helpful to know the previous codes and what was done as an attempt to repair the concerns.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try to get that code for you. Also I will try to get information on previous codes and what was done in an attempt to fix them. Thanks. XXXXX be able to contact you again when I get the information?
You can just log back into the site and add to this thread. I will get an email notifying me you have returned and we can continue ASAP.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I contacted the dealer and the previous codes were P0101, P0171and P0174 which if I am understanding them correctly were fixed by "repairing the connector to the air box". Seems I remember hearing them say something about a vacuum line. Also, code P0356 came up which he said they fixed by replacing all 6 coil packs (dealer paid for it as I had just bought the car and it has only been about 6 weeks not 3 months- time flies). The only symptoms I notice are sometimes when driving it now you can feel this little vibration thing go on for a couple seconds like it's trying to use the vcs to stabilize or something. Otherwise it still seems to run fine. Almost seems like if the computer would clear the code it would be OK til the next time it happens. I still don't have the current code reading and will have to see if I can get to autozone or someplace to get it later today but it seems like the same old thing is going on.
Let me know when you get the current codes before we get too bogged down in this as we may be after something totally different.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry it has taken me so long. The people at autozone tell me the current code is P0354. Then the printout they gave me says something like Ignition coil "D" primary/secondary circuit fault. Probable cause: 661 Open or short circuit condition. 662 Ignition system fault 663 faulty igniton coil.
Sorry to have been so long in responding, I was offline all day yesterday. This code is similar to the P0356 code you had before. I am willing to bet that the number 6 cylinder coil was replaced previously, not all 6. This code is for the cylinder number 4. Heres what we need to do to check this. You can do it yourself with some basic hand tools. The gray engine cover on top of your engine will lift straight off of the engine. With it removed, you will see there are three coil packs bolted to the front valve cover. They are, from, left to right, cylinders 2, 4, 6. You should be able to see if number six is newer than the rest. What you want to do, is remove number 6 and number 4 ans swap their positions. Then put it all back together, disconnect the battery negative cable for a few minutes to clear the computer memory and continue to rive the car normally. When the light comes back on, go back to Autozone and have the code read again. If you get P0356, meaning a problem with cylinder 6 coil (which used to be in the number 4 position), you know that you need to change that coil. If, you still get the P0354 code, we will have to dig deeper into this. Most often, with these codes, the coils are the concern. Let me know what the outcome is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for responding. Didn't expect to hear from you over the week-end and worked 12 hours yesterday so did not get to check my e-mail. Anyhow, my wife has the car today and my work tomorrow will make it probably Thursday when I will get to try what you said. I will get back to you when that happens. Thanks again.
Keep me posted and I'll do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In the mean time, maybe you could be thinking about, is there something that could be causing coils to go bad or is it just a coincidence that one would go right after the other?
It is actually pretty odd to see coils going bad unless there has been a high heat issue, such as the engine getting too hot. Not saying that is the cause here, just what we see. Otherwise it is pretty rare to see a coil failure an these engines. I will look over some other information, though and see if I notice anything.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good morning. I did what you said about changing the #4 and 6 cylinder coils because you were right about the #6 coil having been the one replaced before. I drove about 4 miles when the check engine light went on and I immediately went to autozone to have them check it. This time the code was P0350! Different than both times before. Under definition on the printout it says "Ignition coil primary circuit condition" with the explanation of "The ignition coil primary circuit is monitored for errors" and probable cause 661 igniton coil defective; 662 secondary igniton-plugs, wires cap, rotor; 663 poor electrical connection or circuit fault; 664 driver circuit fault- ignition module or PCM. What do you think now? Thanks.
P0350 doesn't show to be a good code for your vehicle. Is it possible they gave you the wrong code description. That sounds like a generic version of both the P0354 and P0356 code without the cylinder number descriptor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check back with them. Probably won't be till Monday or Tuesday though. Thank you so much. Maybe they saw the 6 as a zero.
Keep me posted on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm back. Yes there is a code P0356 there after I changed the coil from cylinder #4 (P0354) to cylinder #6. But there is also the codes of P0300, and P0301 through P0306 (one for each cylinder the autozone guy told me). Did the fact that the car itself tells me to "check the vsc system" get lost in this shuffle? That message shows up when the check engine light comes on. That happened before and I think that went away when we replaced the first coil that went bad and fixed the vacuum line issue. What do you think now?
You definitely need a coil here. The one now in cylinder number 6 needs to be replaced with a Toyota factory replacement. At that point, we need to reset the computer and drive it to make sure we have covered all bases. The P0300 - P0306 codes are misfire codes and 1 severely malfunctioning coil can cause the computer to see some bogus misfires on other cylinders.

With the VSC warnings. Whenever a powertrain code is set, the ABS/Skid control computer sets a code with the description of engine control malfunction. This is why you see multiple warning lights. Fix the engine concern, and we also fix the VSC warning lights.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I guess you mean I need to get the part from Toyota and not autozone correct?

Yes, sir, we have seen extremely poor performance from aftermarket coils in the past. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will get one this afternoon and replace the bad one as you dirrected. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again. It is a very good thing to be able to communicate with a knowledgeable mechanic who is unbiased and really trying to help me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just wanted to let you know that it has been one week and all is still working well. Thanks again.
Good deal, let me know if you need anything in the future.