Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Question on oil change for 2007 toyota avalon and I just changed

Question on oil change for 2007 toyota avalon and I just changed the oil adding about 6.4 quarts and a new filter. I did not remove the oil filter drain plug, I just took off the oil filter cap and drained it that way. I started it and ran it for a couple minutes to soak up oil in the filter, but now when I check it, it appears to be way full. Did I leave any old oil in the motor by not removing that drain plug and using that little plastic pipe? I would think pullilng off the oil filter cap and letting it pour all over my hand would accomplish about the same end result. Thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

If you PROPERLY drain the engine oil on this car and also change the filter the the oil capacity is right at 6.5 quarts. That drain cap on the oil filter housing is just as you stated a drain for the filter housing only, they put that in place to allow you to drain the filter before removing it, I personally do no do that and I do exactly as you do with draining the filter just by unscrewing the entire thing. Be sure that you have the car on level ground and that you check the fluid level within 30 seconds of shutting it down. If you drained it right then your oil level should be right on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why do you check it within 30 seconds? I would think you need to let the oil settle in the pan so it would be accurate? Thanks for your reply and I will get you paid.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Because that is when the oil is accurate, if you let this sit 2, 5, 10 minutes then ALL of the oil from the cams and upper engine run down and give you a false overfull reading, you need to really check this as soon as the engine is shut down.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wow, so that goes for all vehicles then?