Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid: my AC..diagnostics..diagnose..compressor

Customer Question

I purchased a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid in July 2006 and now in July 2010 my AC is not working. I took it back to Toyota and they had it for a day and told me that I would have to bring it back for further diagnostics and that it was either wiring or my AC Compressors is bad. Ths cost would be $212 to diagnose this and if it is the compressor the cost would be $3400 just for the part and another $200 to replace it. So I am looking at more then $3800 to have the AC fixed. I purchased a Toyota for the reliability this just not seem right that this should be broken or cost so much. I am really sorry that I bought a Hybrid and even sorrier I bought a Toytoa.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Exactly what is your question here? How many miles are on the car? Was it bought as a certified used car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the lack of info, there are 56k miles on the car, I purchased it new, and did not purchase the extended warranty thinking that was the reason I am buying a Toyota and that they are reliable. I do have the 8 yr, 100k on the Hybrid portion of the vehicle. My question is should a compressor cost $3400, does it sound like it could be the compressor, and do they often break within 4 years? Are there any alternatives?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Well here's how to handle this situation. Schedule an appointment with the dealer service manager. Explain to him your concerns. Remain calm and keep in mind that negotiating this will be much easier if you have a good service history with the dealership. Ask the service manager if there is any goodwill assistance available for this repair. Goodwill is where a repair is covered all or in part under warranty even though warranty coverage has expired. If you do not get a desirable response from the service manager, ask for the DPSM (district parts and service manger) contact information. Contact the DPSM and calmly go through the steps as you did with the service manager. The DPSM can make a decision and get the repair covered all or in part for you. Toyota is very proud of their hybrid vehicles and will generally bend over backwards for a hybrid customer. Let me know how it comes out for you.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to update you on the status of this issue. I did exactly as you had stated, I was able to get them to cover the cost of the part $3400, and I would pay the labor $650 plus tax. That was last week. The car has been in the shop over a week. They replaced the AC Compressor and the new unit also quit. They are supposedly on the phone with Toyota diagnosing the problem. They actually had to get another 2007 Camry Hybrid off the used car lot so they could check wiring and voltages I guess. I am about to call the Customer Care line so at least this issue gets reported to Toyota and might help expedite the repair. they told me it may be in the Hybrid compnents and then the cost would be covered.

Thanks for your help on this.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
I am so relieved to know you are getting this situation handled. The whole problem baffles me, though. We don't see A/C compressor problems wityh these vehicles. Keep me posted and let me know if you need more advice.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Latest update, I was just called by the dealer and I was told it is the Hybrid Inverter that is causing the problem. So at this point everything will be covered under the Hybrid warranty. They have one on order it should be there tomorrow and installed by Thursday or possibly Friday. I do not know the cost of the inverter but it must be pretty pricey. I am concerned that the bad inverter took out the new AC Compressor that they put in but they tell me that it just shutdown to avoid damage. Hey worse case is they need to put in another AC Compressor. Thanks again for your help on this issue.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Still a little baffling, but makes more sense to be the inverter. Let me know what else you need.