Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

2001 Toyota sienna: that drove..stalling/..cam sensor bank#1..solenoid

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Toyota sienna that drove in to my shop with a stalling/cutting out during driving condition. I have two codes po340 cam sensor bank#1 and a p1350 vvt solenoid performance bank#2, the engine is full with oil and seems to run fine under regular load. However when you rev the engine pass 4000rpm the engine will waiver like a rev limiter is kicking in but this will only happen occasionally. the customer says that it seems more previlent in the morning but I still haven't had the vehicle stall for me. Also the check engine light is not on at this time but these codes are stored in the ecu none the less. I checked the cam and crank sensors with an ocsilliscope and the patterns all look normal, I checked the vvt solenoid funtion manually and with a scanner and they seem to be functioning normally, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Pull the front vavle cover on the engine here first, you likely have an issue with oil gel/sludge buildup here causing the vvt-i to malfunction.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already removed the vvt solenoids and manually activated the soleniods, they seem to move freely, will this condition make the car stall when driving? And if i remove the valve cover and see gel, what is the fix?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Remove the valve cover first. (www.oilgelsettlement.com) This was a common issue, if you find heavy deposits in the motor it may be shot, thats why I say to check this first before you waste any more time on this issue that may not be able to be resolved on this current engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Valve cover is removed and it is pretty clean inside, no sludge at all, should i reinstall the vave cover ?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
if you do not see buildup around the cam lobes then you are ok there......you do not see evidence of the motor being recently cleaned out like a oil flush additive was used do you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No evidence of being of being cleaned out or flushed. Oil residue on V/C cover and gasket is brittle.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

ok, oil residue is acceptable but sludge or hard formations would not be.

Do you have any history leading up to this concern? Such as maybe....the car had "x" service or repair done and now this is happening?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No past history on this vehicle, customer came in with the complaint of stalling while driving. When we looked at it and drove it, it had the codes stored and did the rev limiter thing when we drove it.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
Have you inspected the marks visually that the camshaft reads to check for visual issues here? Have you checked the resistance across the cam sensor also?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes resistance is within spec at both sensors, visually there are no signs of damage to the cams, note that there are two cam sensors on this vehicle, the p0340 is for cam sensor bank 1 and the p1350 is for vvt sol bank 2, could the crank sensor be my problem?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

It can be that is why i am trying to gather more information here.

If the oil passages get clogged then the vvt-i takes a dump. On the other hand if the cam sensor readings get screwey then the vvt-i malfunctions, in other words if you have a cam reading issue then the vvt-i will malfunction based on those readings, it does not mean that you have a vvt-i issue here.

Is there any evidence that someone was recently inside the timing cover on this van? Perhaps a timingbelt job was recently done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2007 at 90k miles was when the t-belt was done the vehicle has 118,000 miles now, so i don't think a cam/crank corralation is the problem. I must add that the customer says that when this stalling has happened before the vehile would not restart at times and would have the car towed back home, then at some point the car would start and run again.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

ok, this sounds more like a wiring issue here then a mechanical issue then, thanks for your continued feedback here.

Have you done an ohm test of the wiring between the cam sensor and the ECM yet?

Have you looked closely at the entire harness to be sure a rodent has not chewed an wiring?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have not tried checking harness to ecu yet. No rodent signs. Is there some data we can give you to help with the diagnosis, we have a Mastertech scan tool with the Toyota software.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
If the van randomly does this and these are the only codes then this is not an issue you need to be diagnosing with a scan tool, you started in the right direction by checking the inside for deposits and then osciloscope on the primary revolution inputs, the next step here if the cam sensors and the teeth it reads are good will be to check the wiring between the ECU and the sensors before replacing an ECU.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me check the wiring, and i'll get back to you.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.

best of luck, I'm online in the evenings if you need me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Turned out to be a crank sensor, installed it Thursday morning and put over 100 miles on it, seems good so far. Thanks for the attempt to remedy our issue, Toyota's usually don't just die while at cruise so this one was a unusual, thanks again.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 3 years ago.
youre welcome.