Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1990 Toyota: pick up V6 Cranks..cold start injector 9 months ago

Customer Question

1990 Toyota pick up V6 Cranks when it wants to ... replaced pluggs , rotor button and Distributor cap. fuel pumping through filter , and replaced cold start injector 9 months ago !!! At my wits end !
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Are you saying that your engine at times will just crank over and not start?

Any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes , at times it will just crank over and not start and then other times it will start !
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is that the same thing as a VSV , looking in my Haynes repair manual and don't see a Fuel pressure regulator ??
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Here is a picture of the fuel pressure regulator.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK .. yep I saw it.!!! I'll go ahead and get that regardless , it looks old any way !! Do you have any last sugestions if I change that and it doesn't help ???
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
The only other things I can think of would be low fuel pressure caused by a weak fuel pump or a bad coolant temp sensor and or MAF sensor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK , I just replaced the MAF oct. 08' so hopefully thats not it $$$$$$$ and I've been questioning the fuel pump and I also saw some right up about the cooling sensor , so... I do appriciate your help !!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You bet!

Thanks for the accept!

Good luck with everything!

Let me know if you have any further questions!