karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified, L1,Iatn sponser,tech net training, automotive training group certificates
17741603

I HAVE A 1992 TOYOTA P/U 4WD WITH A 22RE FUEL INJ ENG. THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1992 TOYOTA P/U 4WD WITH A 22RE FUEL INJ ENG. THE ENG LIGHT IS ON. IT RUNS FINE UNTILL IT IS FULLY WARMED UP. THEN AS YOU ARE DRIVING IT WILL START HESITATEING, AND WILL NOT TAKE EXCELERATION. AS THIS IS HAPPENING I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I TURN THE IGNITION OFF AND THEN ON AGAIN IT RUNS FINE FOR A WHILE AS IF SOMETHING RE SETS, AND THEN IT WILL DO IT AGAIN. I CAN NOT FIND ANY INFO AS HOW TO CHECK THE TROUBLE CODES MY SELF TO TRY TO FIGURE THIS OUT. WHAT DO YOU THINK. TIM.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
Look under the hood and find the diagnosis connector (black rectangle connector / box) with the key off connect a jumper wire between Te1 and E1, turn on the key and watch the check engine lamp. It will flash, count the number of flashes several times . Example code 21 will display as follows, 2 short flashes a pause then 1 short flash =21. Let me know what code you figure out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IT FLASHES 5 TIMES AND THEN 1 TIME = 52

Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
5 flashes and then 1 = 51 correct? there is a code 52 also and that is a differnet circuit . Do you have an automatic transmission . do you have a/c ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IM SORRY MY BAD, IT FLASHES FIVE TIMES AND THEN 2 TIMES = 52. YES IT HAS AC AND HAS A MANUAL 5 SPEED TRANNY. TIM
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
That code is for the knock sensor circuit. It is located on the right side of the engie block above the starter. Make sure the connection is ok , if so I can try to help you test the circuit or you can replace the knock sensor. Knock sensor circuit is used to adjust ignition timing and that sounds exactly what problems you are experiencing it keeps adjusting timing (retarding it ) until you cannot accelerate then when you shut it off it goes back to base timing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I CANT SEE THE KNOCK SENSOR AND IM NOT SURE WHAT IM LOOKING FOR. WHAT ELETRICAL SYSTEM IS IT PART OF SO I CAN LOOK FOR IT IT MY HAYNES MANUAL. I PUT THIS MOTOR IN THIS TRUCK. THE BLOCK IS OUT OF AN 86 4RUNNER. I CHANGED ALL THE EXTREMITES FROM THE OLD MOTOR TO THE ONE OUT OF THE 86 4RUNNER AND PUT IT IN THE 92 P/U. THERE IS A GRAY FEMALE 2 WIRE CONNECTOR THAT I COULD NEVER FIND WHERE IT GOES. I WONDER NOW IF IT GOES TO THE KNOCK SENSOR. THE COLOR CODES TO THE WIRES ARE AS FOLLOWS=BROWN WIRE WITH WITH A BLACK STRIPE, AND A GREEN WIRE WITH A WHITE STRIPE.
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
The knock sensor is only a 1 wire connector (black wire) I found it in engine wiring diagram information . Its location is in the engine block on the right side above the starter. They kind of look like a large round button with one terminal coming out of the middle. Wiring diagram and location look to be the same for the 4runner application. If you do find it I would replace it and if that doesn't work you may need to do some further testing of the computer itself and possibly replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IS THE COMPUTER THE SAME FOR THE 86 4RUNNER AND THE 92 P/U?
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure about that ,, I initially would say not the same. I was talking with another tech I work with and he thinks the computer would be the same. He has done a couple toyota conversions on his own trucks. He put a turbo 22re in his 86 4runner and had to fabricate a location for the knock sensor. I am not sure if you will have to do that or not, the wiring diagrams I am looking at seem to indicate it is in the same location 92 and 86 22re non turbo engines.

Edited by karrs2fix on 7/26/2010 at 2:39 PM EST
Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.

What have you come up with?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry its been a few days but had to start the work week. looked on line for a pic of the knock sensor. looks that it is the sensor that is directly below the oil filter and in front of the starter, and is part of the oil system. I thought this was the oil sending unit. I looked on the old block that came out, and there is no where else that any other sensers can be installed. I changed out the senser to find that I still have the same code after I cleared the code by removing the EFI fuse for well over 30 seconds. I am confused because I removed the wire from the sensor and grounded it to find that the low oil pressor light came on indicating that this is the oil sending unit and circuit. Am I overlooking something. It is a pretty simply set up. Am I still looking at the wrong sensor?

Expert:  karrs2fix replied 4 years ago.
I have looked at several different year trucks with 22re engines , they all indicate the knock sensor location is above the starter. The oil pressure sending unit is slightly above and back from the oil filter . Somewhat similar looking sensor with a single wire coming out of the middle. I am sure you will have the same code if you have not replaced the knock sensor. I will try to gather any other information that may help you locate it .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
BINGO, I FOUND THE SENSOR, AND THE BLACK WIRE WAS JUST HANGING THERE BESIDE IT WITH NO CONNECTOR. I INSTALLED A CONNECTOR AND PLUGED IT IN. THAT CLEARED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. TOOK IT FOR A TEST DRIVE TO FIND OUT THAT IT IS STILL DOING THE SAME THING AS BEFORE. IT HEATS UP TO NORMALOP TEMP., AND THEN IT WILL START STUMBLEING AND WILL NOT ACELERATE UNTILL I TURN THE IGNITION OFF AND ON AS IF IT IS RE-SETTING SOMETHING. I CAN DRIVE FOR FOR A WHILE, AND THEN IT WILL DO IT AGAIN.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you have any idea what else it could be?