Victor, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master ASE Certified, Prius/ Highlander/ Camry Hybrid Certified, trained in all areas

I have a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder that only came with one key

I have a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder that only came with one key and one remote. I bought two new keys from a local Toyota dealer, which they cut based on the VIN number. I now need to program the Spyder to accept the two new keys. What's the procedure? I paid $100 to have a new remote programmed for my wife's 2008 Nissan Xterra and it looked like something I could easily do.
Follow these steps in order:

1) Insert the original key into the ignition cylinder.

2) Depress the gas pedal 5 times.

3) Depress the brake pedal 6 times.

4) Remove the original key from the ignition cylinder and insert one of the new keys into the ignition cylinder and depress the gas pedal ONCE.

After step 4 you will notice the security light blink for about a minute. After the 1 minute the light will stop blinking. That means the new key is programmed to the car. Try starting the car now. Program the other new key with the same procedure.