Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

What size is the spindle nut on an 04 Camry SE 3.3liter I

What size is the spindle nut on an 04 Camry SE 3.3liter? I need to remove the nut to get the brake rotor off. I tried a 30mm. 12 point socket but it is too small.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

The axle shaft nut does not need to come off to remove the rotors on the 2004 camry. These rotors are designed to slide off the hub. If it doesnt, then there is corrosion between the rotor and the hub face keeping it from sliding off.

Look between the lug studs on the face of the rotor and you will see 2 threaded holes. Use 8m x 1.25 x 2" long bolts to thread into each hole. Alternate tightening each bolt a couple of turns at a time. The bolt ends will hit the face of the hub and press the rotor off the hub as you continue to tighten the bolts:

graphic

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

graphic
View Full Image