ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

89 Toyota: turn signal flasher..clicks..no light at cluster too

Customer Question

need turn signal flasher location & diagnostic test.for 89 Toyota pick up truck ,there are no light& no clicks no respond & no light at cluster too
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 4 years ago.

I'm assuming you've made sure the fuses for the 10amp turn, and the 15a hazard/horn fuse is good. The flasher relay should be located hanging from a brace, up above the accelerator pedal, in that area. It should be labeled flasher on the box itself.

Has any other work been performed on the truck, such as maybe a radio install or anything like that? You'll want to also make sure the hazard switch is good and plugged in, because the turn signals feed through the hazard switch.

Check for power (with key on) at pin 2, green wire at the flasher relay. And make sure you have a good ground at the flasher relay at pin 3, white/black stripe. LEt me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good ground at white/black,no volt at green wire & no volt at blue/red stripe
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 4 years ago.
You'll need to access the back of the hazard switch/emergency flashers. You can pop it easily out of the dash by using a pocket screwdriver, or flathead jewelers screwdriver and insert it below the switch and pry out gently. It should pop right out. You're looking for 2 wires in specific here... a green with black stripe in pin 10, and a blue with white stripe in pin 8. the blue/white should have power all the time, the green/black should have power with the key on. If both of these wires are good, replace the hazard switch. This is at the very front of the circuit and literally everything branches off of the hazard switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No volts any wires at flasher ,I need trouble shoot wiring for turn signal&emergency full.Thank you.
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 4 years ago.

The hazard switch is the first main part of the entire circuit. The 10amp Turn signal at the integration relay (fusebox in drivers kickpanel) fuse feeds pin 10 (green with black stripe) at the hazard switch. This wire will only have power with the key in the ON position.

The 15 amp hazard/horn fuse (under hood fuse box) runs a blue/white wire to pin 8 at the hazard switch. This fuse should have 12 volts always. These are the 2 wires you are concerned about first and foremost.

The green (pin 7) and blue/red (pin 9) feed from the hazard switch to the flasher relay. The blue/red also feeds to the turn signal switch. The green/black and green/yellow in pins 5 and 6 respectively, feed FROM the hazard switch to the turn signals and dash indicators. But everything originates from the hazard switch.