Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Need to replace the transmission oil in a 1992 toyota 4x4 pickup

Need to replace the transmission oil in a 1992 toyota 4x4 pickup with 3.0 engine.
There is a drain plug on passenger's the side of transmission and a fill plug on the driver's side.

Are there additional drain and fill plugs for the transfer case adapter?

Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

Is this an automatic or manual transmission truck?

Are you only trying to replace the transmission fluid or are you trying to service the 4x4 also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has a manual 5-speed transmission (R150F).

Need to just replace transmission fluid.

All other fluids have been replaced. All fittings have been greased. Manual hub bearings and seals replaced. Brake pads and shoes have been replaced. Brake lines have been flushed and new brake fluid added. Radiator has been replaced; new coolant added. New tires. New Shocks. Halogen headlight upgrade. New timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, oil pump. Replaced stock fan with electric.

Thanks!

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply and clarification.

This transmission takes standard gear oil.

If you look at the BOTTOM of the transmission case you should see a 22mm (7/8 inch) drain plug, this is the one you need to pull. Then there is another matching plug on the side of the transmission case to fill and flush this unit.

The 2 plugs you described earlier on the back are for the transfer case and are not linked with the transmission fluids.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually, the drain and fill plugs on this chain driven transfer case are on the back end. No problem with them.

Now, in the daylight, I see what I mistook in the near dark as an additional drain plug; definately not a drain plig.

However, for your information, the R150F transmission has a 15/16 drain hole near the bottom of the transmission that faces the passenger side (front drive shaft side) and is 13 1/2 inches back from the front of the bell housing.

The fill hole is 15/16 on the drivers side of transmission, about 1/4 to 1/3 up the side, and 13 1/2 inches ffrom the front of the bell housing.

I have used Redline MT90 (75W-90, GL-4) synthetic gear lube in several transmissions. Shift is smooth and runs quiet. Use Mobil 1 (75W-90, GL-5) in differentials for many years. Have had no problems; very minor oil seepage around gaskets, no seal leakage.

Thanks for your time!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your time!

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Yes as I stated the transfer case plugs are completely seperate, your initial question was regarding the transmission oil and you were then taking about transfer case plugs that is why I wanted to be sure you were clear on this.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified