Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years all makes and modles

1990 Toyota Camry: is overheating..spark car runs good..leak

Customer Question

Hi my 1990 Toyota Camry is overheating, at first the fans weren't working so we rigged the fans to where I can turn them on and off with a switch and we also replaced the Spark plus wires, the spark plugs, changed the oil and also replaced distributor cap and roter and even with all that my car runs good but still goes hot! It doesn't have a leak either all it does is evaporate the radiator fluid in the radiator and the reserve tank, why is it still going hot after all of that?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Don Knight replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by the fluid evaporating,but if you mean that your are loosing coolant and you dont see a leak you probably have a blown head gasket.You also didn't mention if you have changed the thermostat.I would also check the front of the engine to see if any coolant is coming out the front of the timing cover.Your water pump could be leaking(it is driven by the timing belt).Please let me know what you find,Good luck,Don
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When i meant evaporating ill fill it up and once it starts to overheat it'll start smoking and i guess burning the coolant it wont even cool down the engine and it doesnt have a thermostat. I was told since we live in florida that it doesnt really need a thermostat in the car, and just an estimate how much would it cost to replace a blown head gasket on a 1990 camry?
The head gasket calls for 6.6 hours to change plus parts.I dont know the rates in Florida but you could figure about $700 parts and labor.By the way just because you live in Florida does not mean you should run the car with out a thermostat.If you are going to do the head job you may want the shop check the water pump first since you need to remove the timing belt any way.Good luck,Don