Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota prius: 12v charging from convertor/invertor system not charging

Customer Question

touota prius code p0a08 12v charging from convertor/invertor system not charging also c1310 brake boos solnold problem mick
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 years ago.
Did the toyotadealer get those codes for you or do you have a code reader? Did you also get an INFO code? Do you have a voltmeter available? How many miles on the odometer, please.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A local expert gave me the codes - I don't have a code reader myself.

The only codes I have are the ones I gave you.

I have a voltmeter. The mileage is 28,000.

I just want to make sure that it's not an auxillary battery issue. Open the hood and remove the fuse cover on the driver's side just below the windshield, there is a small red plastic cover near the top, pop the cover open, there is an electrical connector under the cover, now measure the voltage at that terminal, let me know what it is. I'm not too concerned about the C1310 code at this time until the POA08 code is gone.

I was going to ask earlier, does it start and run normally?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Ted,

Checked electrical connector terminal and reading is 12.8. The battery is fully charged and the 5 amp fuse at the rear by the battery are ok.

Have tried putting a jump battery on the system and it still doesn't charge.

Dash screen system shows 12.2 with ready light on for starting engine.

The engine runs ok but the battery still doesn't charge and the dash shows a battery warning light and a car with a line through it.

The VSC light is on and it also shows low brake fluid even though the brake fluid is ok.

Also a red triangle shows up.

Thanks

Thank you for that information. The red triangle is the master warning light that indicates a problem with the HV system, the VSC light is on because of the warning light, the vsc is disabled when this light turns on. The C1310 is starting to make sense now, it's a brake regenerative malfunction, meaning that the regenerative system is not charging the HV battery. Unfortunately at this time I'm not going to be able to help further as more involved diagnostic procedures are required using the techstream scantool and voltage and resistance measurements, in other words, it's going to take a trained HV technician at the dealer to correctly diagnose this. My best guess at this time is that there is an a/c-d/c inverter problem, it depends on the info codes attached to the main codes. The aux battery is charged through the inverter. You should also check with the dealer about the warranty coverage if it's a major HV part failure, also check to see if you have any extended warranties which are normally good up to 100,000 miles.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Ted,

Many thanks for all your assistance.

Unfortunately my local Toyota dealer have refused to look at the car as it has been involved in an accident (not written off, but an uneconomic repair).

I think I will get a new inverter/converter as I think this will solve my problem.

Thanks again

Regards

Ok, I guess I should have asked about the possibility of an accident, if the inverter was hit at all then it would make sense that it may be the problem. I have heard of the possibility that they are available in used condition, you'd have to do a little search.

Good luck with this and please click on the ACCEPT button if you feel my input was helpful.