Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

This is a Door Lock problem on a 1998 Toyota Camry. I have

Customer Question

This is a Door Lock problem on a 1998 Toyota Camry. I have recently replaced the outer door handle (driver's door), and just now replaced the inner door handle which broke. Now we are having a problem in that when the door is closed, the door handle will not unlatch it from the inside. It has to be opened from the outside with the key. The electronic door opener doesn't work either - though this may be unrelated as that quit working a few weeks ago.
Any ideas? Thanks, Gillian
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.

Once the door is unlocked, can you open it from the inside?

Can you lock and unlock from the inside?

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the inside handle will not open the door

Is the door put back together completely and now you are trying it?

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it was. but now we have taken the inside door panel off again

Is it possible that the long rods for the pull handle and door lock were switched?

Are all the rods and links attached to each other? all the way to the latch mechanism?

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, the rods were not switched and everything is still attached. it will only open from the outside.

The only thing left is the latch mechanism itself then.

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The latch mechanism does not seem to be not working.

when the door is open and i hit the lock switch, you can hear the latch move and the door handle button moves to show locked.

is there some trick to replacing the door handle itself? it seemed like the rods were the only things that needed to be addressed.

There's no trick as it is a pretty straight forward job. Just remove the locks holding the rods in place and replace the latch and reinstall. I cant help to think that something is being overlooked but I'm not there and its hard to tell.

Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. Maybe someone else has an idea? The door will open from the outside, just not the inside.