Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1991 toyota pickup: fan belt..the right bolts..loosen..compressor

how do you replace a fan belt on a 1991 toyota pickup. I can find the right bolts to loosen to slide over the compressor to get the old belt off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer!

You mentioned the compressor.....are you trying to replace a specific belt here or all of them?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all of them. alternator and ac compressor belts. 2 belts in all. I do not have power steering. the problem is that I can't put on the alternator belt without replacing the ac belt. so, I'm attempting to replace both.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the alternator belt figured out then or is it only the a/c belt that has you stumped?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well. If i can remove the a/c belt the alternator belt seems straight forward.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.

Ok, look down under the truck where the a/c belt rides, you will see a idler pulley that this belt rides between the compressor and the crank pulley. Take a 14mm wrench and break loose the center nut that holds this pulley on (just one turn), now on the bottom of this pulley you will see a longer 14mm bolt that this pulley is adjusted by, basically the center nut of this pulley locks the pulley in position on the adjuster bolt, so loosen the jam nut and then back off this adjuster and the belt can be serviced. These parts do commonly rust and break so prepare yourself for replacing them if you are in an area of rust/corrosion.