Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2004 Toyota Tacoma: cyl..check engine light..I drove through a puddle

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. The check engine light used to come on if I drove through a puddle now it comes on anytime. My oil is changed every 3000 miles and the level is fine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 years ago.

The light will come on when one of the many sensors sends an out of range signal to the computer. The computer then stores a diagnostic code which can be retrieved with the use of a scan tool. If you take it to a parts store, like Autozone, or others, they will retrieve the code for free and tell you which system/circuit is involved. If its running ok, then its probably emission related and we have seen alot of faulty gas caps cause this. It may be something that you can fix right there, if its deeper, post the code(s) here and we will point you in the right direction.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.