Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

97 camry: My car is showing codes po302, p300,p0303,I..pricey

Customer Question

My car is showing codes po302, po300,p0303,I have a 97 camry...can it be fixed,but not to pricey?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. There are many things that can cause a misfire. Have you checked anything yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes the check engine light is on and the diagnostic read out show these codes. My car is burning the oil fast.....it's not leaking, but it my car shakes when I'm driving and accelerate my speed

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the slow response, I was caught in some foul weather last night and have not been able to get back online until now. I understand that it has a misfire. We need to do some diagnostic work. Start by checking the plug wires. Pull them out and inspect them for signs of carbon tracking where the wires go down into the tube. Look for white lines resembling lightning bolts or for white spots with black centers. Pay close attention to the wires in cylinders 2 and 3. Also, has this engine ever overheated?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it hasn't, but it still showing a check engine signal!!!
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Your check engine light is on because you have a misfire. I can help you diagnose that, but you will have to follow my instructions. Did you check the plug wires?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes my mechanic did, it has to do with my engine cylinders are misfiring...3 of them
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
I know you have misfiring cylinders. What else did your mechanic tell you. I need to know all the info. Did your mechanic do a compression test? Were the plugs changed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, all plugs and compression were changed and the engine still...gave the codes I mentioned earlier....he told me it's time to buy another care eventually...my car is 13 yrs old with 197k miles,but it really has never gave me any problems til now...I wanted to get it fixed, but he hasn't told me the price? I would like to know an approx price.....or is it just a waste to fix.....my mechanic works for toyota and has his own side jig

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
I cannot give you an approx price without more information. You could be in need of an engine replacement, a cylinder head replacement, a valve job, ring replacement, etc...... There are too many variables. To help you with a price estimate, I will need to know what conclusion your mechanic came to as to why the misfire is occurring.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will let you know Monday....he's going to tell me then
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Keep me posted on this situation. I'm here to give you all the advice you need.