Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

CAN YOU REPLACE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS ON A TOYOTA HIG

Customer Question

CAN YOU REPLACE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS ON A TOYOTA HIGHLANDER OR DO YOU NEED TO BUY A WHOLE NEW CONTROL ARM?  IF SO, WHERE DO YOU BUY THE BUSHING?  CONTROL ARM?  IT'S THE RIGHT LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING WHICH IS SEVERELY CRACKED.  TOYOTA HIGHLANDER BASE MODEL V6 3.3 LITER.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with our Toyota question. The control arms come with the bushings already in place and the bushings are not available separately. A word of caution here, it is VERY rare to need to replace these, especially on such a new vehicle. I have seen cases where an inexperienced technician will try to sell these based on superficial surface cracks in the rubber. This is NOT a sign of a failed bushing. It can look bad on the surface, but the rubber is intact and replacement is generally not warranted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

HelloCustomer Welcome to justanswer!

The control arm is serviced as an assembly. No replacing bushings. Do you need the procedures to do the arm?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
What other information do you need? I'm happy to assist if you will let me know how I can better help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Sorry for the confusion...I just wanted to know how a "lay" person can tell if the control arm bushing is still intact eventhough there are breaks on the surface. I wanted to know how to tell if the rubber is solid under the breaks on the surface...?  I want to be 100% sure a replacement control arm is not necessary due to the cracks on the surface.</p>
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
Here's what you need to do. Jack up the vehicle and remove the wheel. Using a prybar, push up on the control arm. You should see the rubber flex when the control arm moves, then return to its rest position. if the rubber is broken, the control arm will move free of the bushing and you will see this. Also, if the rubber is broken, you should fell a clunk when you come to a stop and when you accelerate from a stop. Let me know if you need any other details.