ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

99 Toyota Corolla, - My seatbelt light on the dashboard flashes

Customer Question

99 Toyota Corolla, - My seatbelt light on the dashboard flashes and will not stop blinking even when seatbelt is fastened. I've tried all the suggestions, pulling etc etc on the belt, and light still stays on. I always buckle up, but just want the flashing light to go away. How do i disable the light on the dash? thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 6 years ago.

There is a switch inside your seatbelt buckle that tells your car that it is or is not buckled. You probably need to just replace that buckle. It takes about 10 minutes to do it, and you can either buy one new from the dealer, or probably can find a good one in a junkyard for under 20 bucks or so.

Or if you look at the buckle, you'll see a connector with 2 wires on it going in to the buckle itself. If you unplug that connector, and use a paperclip or something like that to connect the wires together (on the side going into the floor, not the side going into the buckle), it will shut off the seatbelt chime/light in the dash.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. Do i have to take the cover off to see the wires? I tried taking the cover off, and it unclips from the back, but will not come off.

2. Is there a screw or something holding it on?

3. Will i see the wires after i take the cover off?

Fyi, on the buckle itself (the one by the seat), it is connected by a metal flat rod, is the wire inside of this? I just dont see any wires protruding from it.

Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 6 years ago.

I apologize, I am mistaken. Most Toyota's use the switch in the buckle, however in your car it is actually part of the retractor.

Easiest solution (though I would recommend against it) would be on the instrument cluster itself, if you remove it you will see a red wire with a blue stripe, will in in pin cavity #7. If you cut this wire (make sure to leave enough slack so when the part is replaced and repair is completed correctly it can be repaired) then light can't illuminate.