Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1998 toyota camry: 2.2L..hesitates..upon acceleration..the gas harder

my 1998 toyota camry 2.2L hesitates upon acceleration, but only if i hit the gas harder. If i ease the pedel down it accelerates fine
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer!
How many miles on the car and when was a major service last performed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it has 175600 miles and i replaced the crankshaft, oil pump, and camshaft oil seals installed a new water pump 2500 miles ago due to bad oil leaks all around the timing cover. had my transmission cooler an lines flushed along with new fluid an filter 9500 miles ago. i reused the timing belt cause it was replaced last july, should i have replaced that also since it was covered in oil for so long. also is it bad to have had an still use power steering fluid in my car even thou its supposed to use transmission fluid?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.
2 thoughts here.
1- if the timing belt was oiley then yes replace, I most commonly see these stretched/loose or 1 tooth off to cause issues like this.
2- check the plugs and wires, resistance here can cause that as well.

As far as the p/s fluid you can use either, it just needs a hydraulic fluid to operate and lubricate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so it would have nothing to do with the transmission cause i put it in low an that works fine but in 2 it hesitates an sputters the most but once the car gets going up past 35 miles an hour its fine. an it also started hesitating when i had the cruise set at 56 miles an hour last night it just seems to die when i go from a stop sign an sputters till i getgoing but stops if i take my foot off the gas or barely hit the gas pedal
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.
No, not a transmission issue.
Additionallt other items that could cause this such as a sticking egr valve or bad throttle position sensor would cause a check engine light.
Start by inspecting the above mentioned items.
The only other items that come to mind here would be if fuel pressure is too low but again I would like to think you would have a p0171 code stored.