George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2001 Toyota Tacoma: rear view mirror..front window..loosen..tighten

How do you fix a broken rear view mirror on a 2001 Toyota Tacoma? The mirror just fell out of its slot above the front window, it is still intact, with a screw (philips) and simply a slot to fit into. I wondered if there was some way to either loosen or tighten the screw and then fit the mirror back on. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Al

Hello I will help you with your question,

Can you tell me what size cab you have?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi! Sorry to be so long, but I am new to the sight. I have only a single-cab, with over 107,000 miles on it, I guess the bumps in the road here in Florida finally loosened my mirror so it fell out.

Thanks again, Al

I was afraid you would say you have the single cab as I don't have a diagram for it. The ones with the map light are installed as shown below, let me know if this helps, if not I will OPT OUT and maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you

1. REMOVE MAP LAMP AND MIRROR

1. Using a screwdriver, remove the cover.

1. Remove the 4 screws, map lamp and mirror, disconnect the connector.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello again. My Light size is about 1/3 the size of the one on your diagram. However, I might try and remove the cover, as is described in your answer. The guy at Advance just said to put a lot of Epoxy in there, and I am afraid that would screw up the electric system.

Thanks, Al

If you remove the cover it is likely that you can see what is broken and if it is practical to try to repair it. If it is not you can use car-part.com to search for used ones in your area and replace the entire thing.

There is only a single electrical connector that pulls out when you remove the screws so you can unplug and replace it with ease.