ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

How to reset ABS light on 2009 Toyota Corolla without a scanner.

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 6 years ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER, most of the time the only way to get the ABS light off is with a scanner. It depends on why the light is on. Some codes can be reset by removing the battery cables for about 10 minutes. If the light returns then you need to have the system scanned and reset.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's why I mentioned that I wanted to do it without a scanner. I knew that I could do it if I had the scanner.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 6 years ago.
These are the only ways- the battery or a scanner. Unfortunately Toyota does not build any bypass ways into this system.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, I don't have a problem paying $15.00 for the answer. I already knew that I can reset ABS light with a scanner, so that does not help me. If you can tell me which scanner to use (Brand name, approximate price and where I can buy it),I will accept the answer if information you give me is correct. I don't need to know about $4,000 - $5,000 scanner that Toyota dealers are using. What I am looking for is something like Autel Maxi Diags JP701. The only problem with this scanner is that it covers cars only up to 2008 year. I need something that will cover Japanese vehicles to the current year.

Expert:  Fixitman replied 6 years ago.
I will get back to you on that. I beleive that the 2009 model system would still hold a patent and would not be available.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will wait for your defenite answer before I can accept you answer.
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 6 years ago.

You can run a jumper between pin 4 and pin 13 (CG and TC respectively) and count the blinks of the ABS light. For example if it blinks 3 times, then pause briefly and then blinks one time, longer pause then repeats that would be a code 31. If you can't find a chart online of exactly what code you're looking at, just let me know and I'll tell you what it is.

To clear the codes, with the key off put your jumper (paperclip) between 4 and 13. Turn the ignition on, and press the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds. The light should now be a steady flash, rather than flashing with the code like above. Then just remove your paper clip and you're done :)

Edited by ToyotaTom on 4/16/2010 at 2:13 AM EST