Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

1995 Toyota Camry: park..the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator

I have a 1995 Toyota Camry 4cly. My daughter park it ,went back out and it will not start. We replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I have compression 150lb per cly. and have spark to the plug. We have fuel to the pressure regulator,thats as far as I can check it. The car cranks fine but will not start, doesn't even sound like it is trying. Thanks for any help. Keith
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Does the spark jump a good 3/8 pf an inch from the end of the plug wire to ground and is bright blue? Do you have the integrated coil in the distributer or separate? Are there any engine codes set in the computer?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The spark is not a bright blue and I checked it with a grounded plug. By checking the codes with the blinking lights on the dash the light is a steady blink. The coil is integraded and I took it in to the parts store to compare its olms to a new one and it was the same. It was replaced in 2008 and the parts store went ahead and gave me a new one under warranty this morning. 4-8-2010.

If the check engine light flashed continuously then there are no code set in the system. This would probably rule out the pickup coils in the base of the distributor. If you have already installed the new ignition coil than that would rule out the ignition coil. The ignition coils on this engine are known to go bad and will fit the description that you have described above.. The compression does seem a little low general this engine will be 180 to 190 psi. It would be unlikely that the timing belt has jumped time but you should consider looking at that. If you are certain that ignition coil is sparking to the plug wires and you have sufficient compression the only other thing would be to make sure that the injectors are clicking or cycling. How do the spark plugs look are they went with fuel?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The plugs were not wet. They were just a little grey and black not bad. Should I be able to hear the injectors clicking ? Wouldn't the motor have to be running ?

The injectors will click and pulse as you're cranking the engine over. It is difficult to hear them with an audible stethoscope or the old screwdriver handle to you your trick. You may want to consider disconnecting a couple of the connectors and use a test light across the two female pins or if you have a 195 peanut light bulb you can bend the tabs down and stick these into the female pins of the electrical connector and see if the bulb pulses when the engine is cranking over.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the odds of all injectors going bad at once ? So, if I get current at the plug and can't hear any clicking does that indicate bad injectors ?

NONE! It is very unlikely that all for injectors are not clicking. If you apply power and ground to the two terminals simultaneously at the injector it should click. Are you certain that you're getting fuel pressure? I have to step out for a few hours I will check back with you this evening. Double check your camshaft timing to crankshaft correlation make sure the timing belt has not slipped or jump time I am a little concerned about the 150 psi.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the belt two days ago and it looked fine. I only pulled back the top cover and looked at the belt, I did not tear it all the way down. If it jumped wouldn,t it back fire or something ? What are the odds of the ECM being bad ?

If it only jumps one or two teeth you will lose 30 to 40 pounds of compression but will not backfire. There is probably little chance that is a bad engine control computer. They rarely ever go bad. I would like to see the compression a little bit higher provided your gage is accurate. If I were you I would at least pull the top cover off there is only five or six bolts holding it in place with the crankshaft at 0° top dead center and look through the hole in the web of the cam gear and make sure it lines up with the slot in the cam cap at the 12 o'clock position on the engine. If you have good spark and it is on time and you have compression this only leaves fuel being sprayed from the injectors. Make sure that you have injector pulse and the injectors are clicking. Verify that the timing belt is in place and timed correctly then let me know what you have and we can go from here.

As a test you may want to remove the intake boot at the throttle body open the throttle plate and spray some starting fluid into the intake manifold to see if you can get it to light up and try to start when you first crank.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I have removed all the timing belt covers and with the balancer mark on 0 the cam shaft sprocket hole lines up with the v notch on the cam bearing. There is a hole just to the left of the v notch. Which is the allignment point ? I did try the starter fluid directly in the throttle and nothing happens, still just crank crank no start, not even trying.

The dot to the left is not the TDC mark you want the one that is a larger Groove at the 12 O'clock position. Did you confirm the injector pulse? If you shot starting fluid in the intake it should have at least tried to start. This means the spark is not there or the compression is not right.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The 12 o clock mark is where it is at. The little v notch. So the timing is ok ? I have not had anyone to crank the motor for me to check the injectors clicking. My daughter is on her way out.

Based on your description yes the timing belt and camshaft time should be correct. If the compression is then good this only leaves you with weak spark because the starting fluid should try it at least start the vehicle when it is cranked over are you 100% certain that the spark coming from the end of each plug wire will jump at least 3/8 of an inch and his bright blue? Use a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire and take the shank of the screwdriver near a ground source and see how the spark looks.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know you are going to think I am crazy, today I have no spark at all. This car is just messing with me. I have 12 volts at the new coil. Is there any way to check the igniter or ecm ?

If the igniter or the ECM are bad they would be setting a malfunction code in the computer. ECMs rarely ever go bad I do on occasion find a bad igniter but normally you will see a code for that set. I'm not a real big fan of aftermarket ignition coils are you certain that the ignition coil is good and is connected correctly? With the distributor cap off can you get spark to come out of the end of the coil to a jumper wire to ground? Are you 100% certain that the distributor cap is good? Likewise the wires?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will check the new coil tomorrow, I am tired. Thank you so much for your patience.

You're welcome. Let me know how things go tomorrow.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning, I have check the olms on the new coil and on the secondary I am getting 13.7 and the range is 9.to15. So that part is ok. The primary has no resistance at all Its range is 0.36 to 0.55 so I am thinking the new coli is bad. I wanted your opinion before I go bang on the parts counter.

Your resistant specifications are correct if you have no resistance through the primary side of the ignition coil that this would explain why you have no spark. I would recommend that you purchase a Toyota ignition coil.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. I will let you know.

I'll be here.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to get a Toyota coil, called and they said they had it but when I got there they don't. Picked up one from Auto Zone and it ohmed out. Put it on the car and now there is spark to the rotor but not coming thru the cap. ( The cap was replaced when the last coil was replaced. ) I olmed the two spots that bring voltage from the coil to the rotor,in the cap,and nothing. Long story short ( to late ) another NEW cap fixed it. This has been a rodeo. You have very helpful in your brainstorming. Thank you very much.

You are welcome. Glad it is running your daughter will be happy. If you need anything in the future just ask for me Skyvisions, in the question and I will get back to you.

Skyvisions