Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2010 4runner: V6..Im dealing with skid plates..filter located

How do I change the oil and filter on 2010 4runner V6? I'm dealing with skid plates. Where's the filter located?
Hello and thank you for using just answer!
The filter is located at the very front bottom of the engine, you need a 12mm socket to remove the skid plate.
Also this truck requires 0w-20 oil.
The filter is also a cartridge not a metal spin on so if you do not have one already you need a filter cup here to remove it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Peter,

Do I have to remove all the skid plates?? I know there are at least two metal plates. I was able to remove the rear one and found the drain plug. There's also a plastic cover with center push pins that is easy to take off. I'm having trouble with the skid plate up towards the front of the engine. Help!!

Sorry I had to step out and just recieved your reply.

The FORWARD skid plate is what has to be removed here.

See these illustrations:

graphic

At the very front of the skid plate you will see 2 small 10mm bolts that hold the front bumper cover to the skid plate, remove these 2 bolts and the clip in the center.

graphic

Now remove the 4 bolts shown here (12mm) and the sid plate will swing downward to give you access to the filter.