Carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  18+ years working on Toyota's

How much should it cost to replace a catalytic converter on

How much should it cost to replace a catalytic converter on a 2004 Toyota Corolla, including parts and labor? Please break out costs separately.
Thank you.

Can you tell me what model your car is?

LE or

Also, do you know if you have California emissions?

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm looking through my paperwork from the dealer in upstate NY.

I have a Model Code COA and Body/Hull 4DSD - does this make it an 'S' model?

Don't know if I have CA emisions. Since I bought the car in NY state I would presume I don't. But, I bought the car used and think it was part of a rental fleet, so it could have come from anywhere. What would I see in my paper work to tell me if I have CA emissions?

If you look at the emissions sticker under the hood, If you read the print at the bottom of the sticker, if it even mentions California, then it has California emissions..

Please let me know what you find. I will be off-line shortly but I will respond early tomorrow with the Answer that you need....

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My car is in a garage and I would have to go there tonight to get this info. I could get it in the morning. How do I send it to you then? And, why is this so important? I have to pass the emissions standards in NY state when my next inspection is due in June.

Thanks. Let me know how to proceed before you are off-line.

In the morning, Just open your inbox and reply to this message.

The reason that it is so important to know wether it is Cali. emissions is that the convertor is a different configuration and if it is not Cali. ,,,,the convertor is about $700 less...

Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just went down to my apt garage and checked that indeed Calif is mentioned, and it is an LE Model. So, what would be the cost of the part(s) only for th converter. I can figure out the cost of labor in my area of NY state for 1.0 to 1.5 hrs. If you can let me know the part cost then we will be done for the night and I will most likely accept your answer fully so you can get paid. Thanks for your help.

If your car was USA built, the convertor is $1025.00....

If it was Japan built, the convertor is $1190.00..

The way to know where it was built is by the first digit of the VIN number. If the first digit is a J..It was built in Japan and is the more expensive convertor.

The labor is the same for both. The book calls for 1.2 hours to replace it..

Thanks, Josh