Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

94 celica shuts off while driving. replaced spark plugs, replaced

Customer Question

94 celica shuts off while driving. replaced spark plugs, replaced distributor, replaced ecu
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 4 years ago.
When the distributor was changed was it new or used ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the distributor is new. right after changing the distributor, the issue continued. so i went on to replace the ignitor and plugs and ecu. finally after replacing the ecu the car ran perfectly fine for about 2 to 4 months. by the way, the time between changing the ecu, the car was parked for about 3 or 4 months. so im thinking that the problem may have still been present with the replacement ecu but had worked itself out for a few months and then came back.
Is your car running at this time ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it runs for about 15 minutes then it shuts off.
When the car quits could you spray carburetor or injector cleaner into the throttle body and see i fit will start ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sure. ive got a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX if theres a problem with my fuel pump is there some kind of safety feature that would kill my spark as well. no fuel no spark, sort of speak.
No . You are sure that it quits and at that point you have no spark ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i remove the cable from the last spark plug and place a screw driver to it and close to the block and see no spark. is there a way to know if the fuel pump is running when the car quits
Let me pull up the diagram and do some double checking . I will be back .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would a map, or tps or knock sensor failure. can any of these cause these symptoms? or oxygen sensor failure?

Hello . I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner . When your car stops , Can you check to see if there is still power at the fuel pump relay ?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no problem. how do i go about checking for power to the fuel pump? can you give me some detailed directions please?
You want to test with a test light for power on # XXXXX , 3 , & 5 . Also check all the connections for the fuses in the diagram . Take them out , make sure the connections are not dirty or corroded .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have a voltmeter. would that work better? and when you say #1 3 and 5 are those leads on the ecu? where do i find those leads?

There is a diagram that shows the fuel pump relay at the ECU location . Yes a voltmeter is actually best .

graphic

Edited by Kevin Bourcier on 2/26/2010 at 6:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ive got a question. if my crankshaft position sensor were bad would it cause loss of both spark and fuel. in other words. no spark and no voltage to fuel pump?
Yes it could .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi, i could not find a #5 lead on the circuit opening relay. there was 1,2,3,4,6
My diagram only shows a 4 terminal relay . I will have to look to see if there are circuit variations that I did not see before .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the actual relay has 5 terminals.
Okay . With the key on and engine running 3 terminals should have power . Determine which ones . recheck if engine quits and determine which one loses power .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
forgive the dumb question but if i remove the relay in order to get at the terminals wont the car shut off then?
No . The relay just needs to plugged in to the harness . You can move it if needed .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. if i get this correctly. i can pull the relay and test the terminals without the relay being in place.
Can you " pull " the relay but still leave it connected to the wiring ? Are you looking at the relay beside the ECU ( under the seat ) ? Unbolt it from the side of the ECM .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. its a black relay. ive got two. ive got two ecu's. how would i contact the terminals without removing the relay from the harness??
You need to " back probe " the connector while it is still plugged in .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi, right now the car is not turning off. its just idling rough. i got an ecu error code of 1-2 or twelve.
Have you checked the basic grounds , engine to body , battery to fender , transmission case to subframe/body , etc. ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. ive checked all wiring. right now im trying to get the fuel pump out and inspect it for dirt, wear.... having trouble with the hose-nut, its really tight
okay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. i ran the car until it shut off. i checked the pump its self for voltage and there was power going to the fuel pump. when i cranked the car there was fuel pressure. the pump ran. however, there was no spark at the spark plug cables. no spark at all.
Was the distributor " New " or used ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the distributor is new

Have a look at the diagram . The problem is in either the " NE " or " G " circuits or the ECU itself . Check for resistance ( corrosion / loose contacts ) on those 4 wires . Make sure that there is always power with the key on at the distributor " BAT " wire .

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where would i find these cables. where do they start and where do they end?

They are the wires in the harness at the distributor and they run ( as shown in the diagram ) between the distributor and the ECU .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can a falut elsewhere cause the ecu to not send that signal? cause ive already replaced the ecu? and the harness looks fine. but there is not signal from ecu to distributor,
The problem you are having indicates the fault is in those 2 circuits or the ECU itself is the fault .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: i have swapped the ecu, checked continuity on the signal to the distributor both appear to be ok. it looks like the ecu is detecting a problem elsewhere and shutting down ignition as a result. or not sending spark signal. .
i have swapped the ecu, checked continuity on the signal to the distributor both appear to be ok. it looks like the ecu is detecting a problem elsewhere and shutting down ignition as a result. or not sending spark signal.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
You keep going over the same information here, I have a quick and simple question here as I have been on this issue with this same engine countless times.....you stated "new" distributor, where did you purchase this part from or what brand? Have you checked the pickup coil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yessir, in fact i have swapped out the coil inside the distributor itself before actually purchasing the new distributor
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
I think you missed part of my question above, what brand distributor is this or where did you purchase the new part?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the distributor is oem, is brand new out of the box. before i purchased the brand new distributor, i had purchased a replacement oem coil. neither resolved the issue. after the car sat for about 3 or 4 months i finally replaced the ecu and the car ran for another couple of weeks. i then died out again with the same symptoms.