Ironmike, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 30 years experience L1 performance specialist

2001 tacoma: dtc reader..oil pressure light..keep running

Customer Question

my 2001 tacoma will not idle you must keep idle up by pushing on the gas pedel i tried to hook up a DTC reader but nothing comes up even tho the check eng light is on as well as the oil pressure light... it will not keep running unless the idle is kept up with the gas pedel
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

One of the easiest things you can try is to clean the throttle body and the IAC. I use a soft pipe brush and some carb/throttle cleaner. If you have no codes many times carbon build up causes idle issues. Try this and let me know what happens. Next you could try to clean and test the MAF if no change. I did not see any bulletins.

good luck

Edited by Ironmike on 2/20/2010 at 10:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you define IAC and MAF haha sorry not to tech
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

oops, sorry. The MAF would be the air flow sensor and the IAC would be the Idle air control.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dude i just lightly tapped it hopping it would knock some carbon off and the truck is running perfect thanks just needed to be able to get to work again for access to tools so i can take it apart and really clean it.. thanks again
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.
great, glad to hear you are up and running.