Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

how do I replace the ignition switch on a 1999 4Runner

how do I replace the ignition switch on a 1999 4Runner?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

Are you referring to the ignition lock cylinder that the key goes into or the electrical portion of the ignition switch?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the ignition lock cylinder

The ignition switch needs to be turned to the ACC position. There is a hole in the aluminum housing on the opposite side of the housing as the ACC position. While in the ACC position use a 1\8 inch punch or small screw driver and push the release pin up into the cylinder and pull the lock cylinder out of the housing. If the lock cylinder won't move to the ACC position there are a couple of tricks short of drilling the lock cylinder out.

What I have done in the past when this is the case is to drive a screw driver (one with a square shank) into the lock cylinder. Use a wrench to force the lock cylinder to the ACC position. Don't drive it so hard that you break the aluminum housing off but it will take a good couple of whacks. It will take some force to turn the cylinder to the ACC position. This has worked for me in a number of occasions. The other option is to drive the pin up into the lock cylinder or try to drill it with out damaging the aluminum housing. Either way the cylinder can be removed. The last option is to drill into the lock cylinder its self and remove piece by piece I don't normally like this option.

There is no secret. If the 1/8 inch pin is pushed all the way in to the lock cylinder you should be able to grab the outer casing of the lock cylinder assembly and pull it out of the aluminum housing. Did you get the pin pushed all the way in to clear the aluminum housing? If not sometimes you can use a punch and drive the pin into the lock cylinder to get it to clear and release the cylinder.

Skyvisions