Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 30 years experience L1 performance specialist
11302663

1997 Toyota Camry: wont start..the starter motor..sporadically

Customer Question

My 1997 Toyota Camry won't start. When I put the key in the ignition, the battery works fine, I can hear the starter motor turning over, and I can hear my engine 'try' to catch sporadically, like once every ten or fifteen seconds. It never starts. Prior to having this happen, I have had no problems with my car starting hard or having to try to start my car more than once. It has always started within 1-2 seconds of turning the key. I have enough gas in the car, have it in park, etc. I should note that my timing belt was replaced less than two months ago. but to my knowledge there have been no symptoms of timing belt problems, no rough idling, etc. Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

greetings,

did you hear the fuel pump? can you check for spark or fuel pressure? what is the outside temp where you are?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can't say I heard the fuel pump, would rather not check for spark and fuel pressure now as the outside temp is and has been below freezing (25-30 degrees) for the past few nights.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

You may have a frozen fuel line or the fuel pump may be jammed. It doesn't take much moisture. You will have to verify if the pump has power at some point. You can try a quick old time mech trick. Bang on the tank and have someone crank. Sometimes the pump frees up if there is power.

let me know what happens

good luck