Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla that needs the engine rebuilt,

I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla that needs the engine rebuilt, or replaced. It is burning up nearly a Qt. of oil per 100 miles now. I've read that this is a very common problem with '98-'02 Corollas once they've hit about 90K miles. My question: is there another motor that would be compatible to avoid just having the same thing happen again?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer and sprry to hear of your issues on the car.

Yes this is a common issue on the car. The piston rings are the cause for this.

Here is what you need to know here:

-First a "rebuild" is not an option, you cannot rehone this engine block to rebuild the engine.

-No there is not a compatable "different" engine that wil work

-Installing a used engine is not a good idea as this engine will likely have the same issue

-If you plan on keeping the car for a while and it is worth repairing then what I advise you do is replace the short block with a NEW one from toyota, this way you get a fresh bottom end with the updated design and you will not have a repair issue, just have a short block installed and have the valve guide seals and timing chain replaced and you will be good to go for the next 200,000 miles.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, the cost to 'rebuild' is about 2000. The estimate I received to replace with a used engine is about 1500. How painful would it be ($) to replace the short block?

And if this is a common issue, which required an updated design, why hasn't Toyota accepted responsibility for it? I know I bought the car used, and as such took a chance - but with 180K on it now, is it really worth it? I travel about 80 miles a day to commute to work.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.

As I stated you cannot "rebuild" it, you may have a mecahanic that is wiling to do so but what I am telling you is that it will not work, you cannot rehone this block for new rings, you will literally be wasting $2,000 if you have this done.

I already commented on a used engine above. If you just need the car running well again and do not plan on keeping it very long then this may be the best solution.

A short block plus labor is going to put you around $3,000 but is the best solution long term. No toyota has no responsibility beyind powertrain warranty (60,000 miles) on this issue.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand completely that a rebuild is not an option for me. A used engine is a short term fix, but honestly it is not possible to invest 3000 in this car. That's nearly what I paid for it. I guess I'm looking for another set of wheels.

Thank you very much for your time and honesty.