George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2002 Toyota Solara: rattle..right rear..Ive pulled the hub..assembly

I have a 2002 Toyota Solara that has a rattle somewhere in the right rear portion of the car. I've been under it and tried to move anything that might be loose I can't find anything. I've pulled the hub to see if the brake assembly was loose but it is not. It seems to be getting louder. I live in an area that has many cobblestone roads which I'm sure doesn't help. Any insight you might have would be greatly appreciated. It's kind of a hollow sound.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Ride in the back seat while someone drives and put your head in each corner of the back shelf. Listen for the noise to be coming from the top of the strut mount where it is attached just behind the rear seat. If it is coming from there replace the mount. Try removing everything from the trunk including the spare tire.

graphic

Let m eknow what you find and I will help you with how to proceed

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had everything out of trunk before and did so again this time. Got in the back seat and the noise was pretty loud in right deck area. Sounds like you might be on to something here. I'm in a little town in Mexico for the forseeable future. If I can get the part, is this something I can replace myself? How detailed is it?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If you can find a spring compressor you can replace the mount but this is a dangerous operation as the spring has enough energy to kill or maim you and must be released under controlled conditions

Here are the instructions to replace the mount, look them over and let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thanks

First try torquing the center nut for the strut it may stop the noise. If not the mount is the next likely culprit, with the seat out you can likely feel the noise with your fingers if it is the strut

graphic

graphic

REMOVAL

1. REMOVE REAR SEAT
  2. REMOVE REAR SEAT OUTER BELT LOWER SIDE SET BOLTS

1. REMOVE QUARTER TRIM PANELS
    1. Remove the 2 covers, screws and assist grip.
    2. Using a screwdriver, remove the quarter trim panel. HINT: Tape the screwdriver tip before use.
    3. Employ the same manner described to the other side.

1. REMOVE ROOF SIDE INNER GARNISHES
    1. Remove the screw and coat hook.
    2. Remove the bolt and front seat outer belt shoulder anchor.
    3. Using a clip remover, remove the clip and roof side inner garnish.
    4. Employ the same manner described to the other side.

1. REMOVE PACKAGE TRAY TRIM
    1. Remove the 3 bezels.
    2. Using a clip remover, remove the 3 clips and package tray trim.

1. REMOVE ROOM PARTITION BOARD Using a clip remover, remove the 7 clips and room partition board.
  2. REMOVE REAR WHEEL

1. DISCONNECT FLEXIBLE HOSE AND ABS SPEED SENSOR WIRE HARNESS CLAMP Remove the 2 bolts and disconnect the flexible hose and ABS wire harness clamp from the shock absorber.
  2. DISCONNECT STABILIZER BAR LINK Remove the nut and disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the shock absorber. HINT: If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon (5 mm) wrench to hold the stud.
  3. REMOVE SHOCK ABSORBER WITH COIL SPRING

1. Remove the 2 nuts and bolts, and disconnect the shock absorber from the axle carrier.
  2. Remove the cap.

1. Loosen the nut in the center of the suspension support. NOTICE: Do not remove it. HINT: If not disassembling the shock absorber, it is not necessary to loosen the nut.
  2. Remove the 3 nuts and shock absorber with the coil spring.

INSTALLATION

1. INSTALL SHOCK ABSORBER WITH COIL SPRING
    1. Install the 3 nuts and shock absorber with the coil spring. Torque: 39 Nm (400 kgf-cm, 29 ft. lbs.)
    2. Torque the nut in the center of suspension support. Torque: 49 Nm (500 kgf-cm, 36 ft. lbs.) HINT: If the shock absorber has not been disassembled, it is not necessary to torque the nut.
    3. Install the cap.
    4. Install the shock absorber with the coil spring, 2 bolts and nuts. Torque: Reused nut: 196 Nm (2,000 kgf-cm, 145 ft. lbs.) New nut: 255 Nm (2,600 kgf-cm, 188 ft. lbs.) HINT: If reusing the 2 nuts, coat the threads of the 2 nuts with engine oil.
  1. CONNECT STABILIZER BAR LINK Torque: 39 Nm (400 kgf-cm, 29 ft. lbs.) HINT: If the ball joint turns together with the nut, use a hexagon (5 mm) wrench to hold the stud.
  2. CONNECT FLEXIBLE HOSE AND ABS SPEED SENSOR WIRE HARNESS CLAMP Torque: Flexible hose: 29 Nm (300 kgf-cm, 22 ft. lbs.) ABS speed sensor wire harness: 5.4 Nm (55 kgf-cm, 48 inch lbs.)
  3. INSTALL REAR WHEEL Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
  4. INSTALL ROOM PARTITION BOARD
  5. INSTALL PACKAGE TRAY TRIM
  6. INSTALL ROOF SIDE INNER GARNISHES
    1. Install roof side inner garnishes and clips.
    2. Install the front seat outer belt shoulder anchor with the bolt. Torque: 42 Nm (430 kgf-cm, 31 ft. lbs.)
    3. Install the coat hook.
  1. INSTALL QUARTER TRIM PANELS Install the quarter trim panels, assist grips and 4 bolts.
  2. INSTALL REAR SEAT OUTER BELT LOWER SIDE SET BOLTS Torque: 42 Nm (430 kgf-cm, 31 ft. lbs.)
  3. INSTALL REAR SEAT
  4. CHECK REAR WHEEL ALIGNMENT

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I'll try to torque the center nut. Anything else sounds like it might launch me into orbit. My last question would be, how do I get to the center nut? I see the schematic but I'm not sure if I can get to it without removing everthing. Do I go in through the rear seat area? And thanks for your help!
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Go through the part of removing the seat side bolsters by removing the bolts at the bottom of the side bolster and the side trim from the "C" pillar by gently prying the plastic retainers out with a putty knofe or other stiff thin tool and the top of the strut will be acessable from the area next to the rear shelf

I think it is a good choice to leave anything more to an equipped shop

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I lied. One more question. If it's not the center nut and I can't get it in to a shop for awhile, Will I do more damage or will I just be hearing the ratte? Thanks again.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

No, its annoying to hear the rattle/thump but you will do no damage if you put it off. Heres to hoping that when you tighten the center nut the noise will be gone!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you

Thanks

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years