Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2003 Toyota Camry: My check engine light..gas cap..Trac..lights come

Customer Question

2003 Toyota Camry - My check engine light was on, got the codes from AutoZone, and replaced the gas cap. I disconnected the battery to see if the check engine light would reset, and it did - it no longer lights. However, now the VSC and "Trac Off" lights come on after starting to drive (they don't light immediately, just after I put the car in gear and start moving). I can tell the anti-skid is not working - just drove in snow. Could the battery disconnect be related?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

Do you know what the code numbers are that are set in the system after the visit to AutoZone? If you have vehicle skid control it will shut off by default with the check engine light. However by removing the negative battery cable it is possible that you erased the zero point calibration for the vehicle skid control system sensors. Do you know what the codes are that are set in the vehicle skid control system?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your question properly, but I do have the codes given to me at the Auto Zone when the check engine light was lit:

The guy at the AutoZone told me that based on those codes, I should replace my gascap - he also told me that if I wanted to see right away if the gascap solved the problem, then just disconnect the battery and reconnect - the check engine light will go off if the gascap was the problem.

Also, referencing your message about the VSC automatically going off if the engine light is on...that light was never on until I started the car after reconnecting the battery

Although part of the information that AutoZone is telling you is partially correct. Based on the codes you had listed the most common denominator is the gas cap. However there are several problems with the close canister valve and other issues with the charcoal canister that can set the 446 code and the 441 code. Whenever the check engine light comes on it is supposed to trigger the vehicle speed control system to shut down and turn the VSC light on this happens by default. As to why it never did on yours is difficult to say but it should have. All this being said you're probably looking at having to have the zero point calibration procedure done in order to reset the yaw rate sensor and the deceleration sensor points for the vehicle skid control system. There's no way to know for certain unless I have a specific code numbers from the VSC computer. This can be done by jumping two terminals as seen in the diagram below in the DLC three connector under the edge of the instrument panel on the driver side. And monitor the flash pattern on the VSC light. Click the link below and save for the pin location.